Arcadia Jungle Dawn Led Bar Recommended Wattage/Length for a 4' deep x 8' wide x 3' high terrarium.

Wrts1289

Location (City and/or State)
Sterling Heights, michigan
Hello! I am looking into any opinions from experience on the recommended wattage/length LED bar for my terrarium. I do understand it is hard to exactly dictate which one will suit each terrarium and do understand the Arcardia brand can be added onto if it is not sufficient light. They offer 15W at 11.5", 22W at 18.5", 34W at 22.5" and 54W at34". From what I know so far, a lot of this is trial and error, but correct me if I am wrong. I would like to create an environment where there is a gradual change from light to shade so my Leopard Tortoise can find a good spot for her, wether it be lighted the front half or side half is to be determined. Also is there a way to measure correct ambient light provision like a solar meter?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello! I am looking into any opinions from experience on the recommended wattage/length LED bar for my terrarium. I do understand it is hard to exactly dictate which one will suit each terrarium and do understand the Arcardia brand can be added onto if it is not sufficient light. They offer 15W at 11.5", 22W at 18.5", 34W at 22.5" and 54W at34". From what I know so far, a lot of this is trial and error, but correct me if I am wrong. I would like to create an environment where there is a gradual change from light to shade so my Leopard Tortoise can find a good spot for her, wether it be lighted the front half or side half is to be determined. Also is there a way to measure correct ambient light provision like a solar meter?
If you mounted 10 of the 54W ones in there it still would not be as bright as a sunny day outside, so I'd make it as bright as you can for a leopard. For an 8 feet long enclosure, I'd get at least two of the 34 inch ones to use for ambient lighting, but I think more lighting will be necessary. I'm just talking about the ambient light. Not counting the basking bulb or UV tube here.

Arcadia is a great company with quality effective products, but you could save a lot of money by getting and under cabinet mount type LED strip or two at a hardware store. The color temp is on the packaging.