Aquarium Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerbs

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
St. Paul, MN
Hey everyone,
I'm going to move my RF in to an aquarium soon. (Thanks to TerryO for the advice!) He's just shy of 3inches and starting to come out of his ultra-shy hatchling phase.

Here's my situation:
I bought a 75gallon aquarium off Craigslist for $60. To see if I could sell it for more, I posted it back on to Craigslist, and someone wants to buy it for $80.

There is a 40gallon I have the opportunity to buy for $40. (So, essentially $20 bucks after selling the big one).

I may be relocating soon for a job, and moving a 75 gallon across country would be annoying. If I don't get the job, I'll probably be moving just across town within the year. But how much easier would a 40 gallon be to move? Is it worth just having the extra space for my RF to grow in to, or should I get the 40 gallon and cross that bridge in a year or two when he's bigger?

Considering that both are good deals economically, what would you do?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
While annoying.....I would keep the larger enclosure...I mean you will be moving other junk anyways right?

The more space you have the more you can create a variety of micro climates for your tort and have alot more leg and hiding room...

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Well 40s are usually 36 inches long and 70s are usually 48 inches long so an extra foot there. Depending on the 40 it can be 16-20 inches wide and 16-20 inches tall. The 70 will be about the same give or take. Honestly I would go with the bigger. Your already moving a big tank what's another foot of glass.

If you can get dimensions that would help. Aquariums are tricky, you can have narrow and wide ones, I always like wide ones for turtles and tortoise in this case. If you can get dimensions and see what has a bigger footprint. If the 70 is taller then it can have a smaller footprint then a 40 gallon breeder. Vise versa

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Go big. They usually grow faster than we think they will.

jerbs

5 Year Member
St. Paul, MN
ascott said:
While annoying.....I would keep the larger enclosure...I mean you will be moving other junk anyways right?

The more space you have the more you can create a variety of micro climates for your tort and have alot more leg and hiding room...

That is true. My bed and other furniture is bigger than a 75 gallon tank anyways...

Millerlite said:
Well 40s are usually 36 inches long and 70s are usually 48 inches long so an extra foot there. Depending on the 40 it can be 16-20 inches wide and 16-20 inches tall. The 70 will be about the same give or take. Honestly I would go with the bigger. Your already moving a big tank what's another foot of glass.

If you can get dimensions that would help. Aquariums are tricky, you can have narrow and wide ones, I always like wide ones for turtles and tortoise in this case. If you can get dimensions and see what has a bigger footprint. If the 70 is taller then it can have a smaller footprint then a 40 gallon breeder. Vise versa

You're right on. The 75gal is 48Lx18Wx21H. The 40gal is 36x18x16. Both a good size, just that foot difference. I was more concerned with the weight than size in moving, but like ascott said, there's other heavy junk to move, too.

I'll keep it. I got it in to my place, why move it out and bring in another... and the big guy will love roaming around. Will post pics once she's up and running next week.

Tom said:
Go big. They usually grow faster than we think they will.

I sure will.... Thanks Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.