approximate age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shalon

5 Year Member
I would really love to be able to figure out an approximate age for Edna. Is there a way to do that. I measured her and she's 7 & 5/8" long and 4 & 15/16" wide. I traced around her because I figured that would give me the best measurements. I know I won't be able to get an exact age but if anyone could give me an approximate one that would be really cool.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Having a picture to see would help to estimate her age. :)

Danny

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
And knowing exactly how it was measured- straight-line carapace or along the curve, from what point to what point, etc.

If it is straight-line, my big ones were 3, 3.2, and 3.8 years old at that size. (The biggest one is based on an estimated hatch date. The other two are relatively accurate.)

Shalon

5 Year Member
I have pictures of her here:
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-10522.html

I put her on a piece of paper and traced around her shell. I then measured, in a straight line, from where her head would be to the opposite end of the tracing. For the width measurement I measured the widest part.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Don't know what Mark is feeding those.. my early '05's are that size.

NERD

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I know that Dale is about 7 inches long and 4 3/4 inches wide and you guys figured him to be about 4 years old. Now I'm confused. :(

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I've been trying to find a growth chart for Red-foots for a couple years now. I know there is a lot of variation, but it should still be possible to track averages and standard deviations. So far, no luck.

Mike Pingleton mentions in his book that field research shows that wild Red-foots grow about an inch a year (the growth speed is not consistent, but averages out this way for larger numbers of studied animals), so a Red-foot starting off at about 2.5" would take about 5 years to hit 7.5".

So, yeah. I've been overfeeding again and had to change the portions and fast days ratios again to compensate. I've also cut the meals with more low-nutrition filler, like leafy lettuces. Most captive tortoises tend to grow too fast because most keepers overfeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.