Anyone's tortoise have had Nematodes? How do I administer meds?

Darwinsmom

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello,
I adopted my 2 year old Russian Tortoise Darwin 8 days ago. I noticed he had runny poop when I brought him home so I scheduled a vet visit for him that week. He saw the vet on Thursday and they took a culture and the vet called today and said his culture came back with a parasite called nematode. She does not know how long he has had it and suspects he got it from the pet store we bought him at. She said that there is a 50/50 chance of treating him with medication and that we can alternate meds if needed. But she also said there is a 50/50 chance that this will not go away. I am concerned because when I asked if he could die from it she was pretty evasive of my question and didnt say no but she didnt say yes either? So now I'm like freaking out thinking Darwin is going to die.
Has anyone here had a tortoise that has had nematodes and treated it successfully? I really hope my little guy is okay.

ALSO, VET SAYS I NEED TO GIVE MEDS DIRECTLY INTO HIS MOUTH USING A DROPPER. I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE, ANY TIPS ON HOW TO GET HIM TO OPEN HIS MOUTH SO I CAN GIVE HIM THE MEDS? HE KEEPS PULLING HIS HEAD ALL THE WAY INTO HIS SHELL.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
really?? the vet made it sound kinda serious. she prescribed meds, are they okay to give to him? he is otherwise healthy
If the vet prescribed meds...
And you trust that your vet knows what he or she is doing, then I would treat.
What is the medication?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think you have anything to worry about. If left untreated the tortoise would become lethargic, loss of appetite, but you're going to treat him, so no big deal. Tortoises get parasites. It's a fact of life. Normally you treat them one day, then again in about 10 days to kill off any eggs that hatched after the first treatment.

You grab the tortoise with two fingers, behind his jaw and hold the head out (this works better if you have four hands). Then you pry the mouth open. I use the round end of a metal nail file. Then squirt the parasite medication onto the back of the tongue.

If this is beyond your capabilities, and there's a favorite food the tortoise will always eat, you can inject the medication inside the favorite food and hand feed him. Strawberries work well for this.

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
I don't think you have anything to worry about. If left untreated the tortoise would become lethargic, loss of appetite, but you're going to treat him, so no big deal. Tortoises get parasites. It's a fact of life. Normally you treat them one day, then again in about 10 days to kill off any eggs that hatched after the first treatment.

You grab the tortoise with two fingers, behind his jaw and hold the head out (this works better if you have four hands). Then you pry the mouth open. I use the round end of a metal nail file. Then squirt the parasite medication onto the back of the tongue.

If this is beyond your capabilities, and there's a favorite food the tortoise will always eat, you can inject the medication inside the favorite food and hand feed him. Strawberries work well for this.
If the medication is a thick liquid, using raspberries as a cup to hold it works really well. You might need a couple to get the full dose.

Darwinsmom

California
If the vet prescribed meds...
And you trust that your vet knows what he or she is doing, then I would treat.
What is the medication?
Everything I have read about her is good reviews. She specializes in exotic animals and everything I've learned here and asked her about she has answered similarly or even clarified more on. So she seems to know her stuff and she handles him very well, like a pet, not just an animal if you know what I mean? Alot of people don't treat reptiles like they are pets, just reptiles. She held him and talked to him like a pet (which he is to me) so I do trust her. She prescribed 0.26 ml of Panacur. I just gave him his first dose, he will get another dose in 14 days and then we will have another check up after that 14 days to see if he has improved

Darwinsmom

California

Thank you!! I wish I read this sooner! Lol. I spoke to my cousin (who works for an exotic wildlife animal park) and he said the way they give their torts medicine is to give them food and then when they open their mouth for bite, stick the syringe in and administer meds while they eat the food lol. I tried it and it worked! He opened his mouth for some lettuce and I just squeezed it in real quick and then he did not look happy for a few seconds ? He eventually got over it and kept eating though

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Everything I have read about her is good reviews. She specializes in exotic animals and everything I've learned here and asked her about she has answered similarly or even clarified more on. So she seems to know her stuff and she handles him very well, like a pet, not just an animal if you know what I mean? Alot of people don't treat reptiles like they are pets, just reptiles. She held him and talked to him like a pet (which he is to me) so I do trust her. She prescribed 0.26 ml of Panacur. I just gave him his first dose, he will get another dose in 14 days and then we will have another check up after that 14 days to see if he has improved
PANACUR is used for many types of parasites.
It seems to be very effective. But might effect the tortoises activity and eating for a few days.

Darwinsmom

California
PANACUR is used for many types of parasites.
It seems to be very effective. But might effect the tortoises activity and eating for a few days.
Thanks, I'll keep my eye on him! So far he ate a whole bowl of food and then burrowed and is sleeping now lol