Anyone know what these are?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
These are a couple things Thor went for while I took him outside. If anyone knows what they are and if they are OK that'd be great, thanks.

Plant 1
000_0023.jpg

Plant 2
000_0024.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
IDing plants just by the leaves is always hard Rob. :p Can you take pictures of the whole plants? Do they have flowers and what color?

Danny

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
egyptiandan said:
IDing plants just by the leaves is always hard Rob. :p Can you take pictures of the whole plants? Do they have flowers and what color?

Danny

Ah no sorry. No flowers. I mean I don't think they have any. I would get the full plant shot, but it wouldn't be much different than leaf shots.

The first spreads out like dandelion leaves. Where there's a center and then the leaves branch off in all directions (staying flatter to the ground).

The second one is the entire plant. There's just a few in 1 spot. Sort of like clover where it's all over in 1 area, except there were no runners or anything. Just that leaf plant there and more, that wern't connected in any way.

Could any of this stuff be harmful in small amounts anyways though? He hasn't eaten anything I dont know of, but seems to go for those 2 everytime.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I think it would be helpful to see it still growing in the ground. Then we can see relative height, stem, number of leaves, etc. There are a few things that are toxic, but most weeds are not. Some may not be good in large quantities. I would personally never let my tort eat something that I hadn't identified. Some take a different approach such as assuming the tort will know whether it is toxic or not, as they know/learn in the wild. Best wishes.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Crazy1 said:
Rob, does the first one look like pennyroyal here is a pic of it at the end of the page.
http://weedid.wisc.edu/ca/weedid.php
or like common mallow?
http://weedid.wisc.edu/ca/databasesearch.php

Sorry can't help you on the second one. do you have a horticulture school near you or could you send that pic and discription to a school on line and ask for an ID?

I think the one is definitely mallow, thanks! Doesn't look exactly like it, but I imagine it varies a little. I'll try and get a better picture of the other one and a better picture of the mallow. I have never seen any flowers though as I mow my lawn regularly.

S

stells

The first one isn't Mallow... i can't at this moment think what it is... but definately not mallow...

can you leave the first one to grow... it actually looks like a type of campanula... but would really need to let it flower to make sure...
Second looks like a type of Dandelion...

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
stells said:
The first one isn't Mallow... i can't at this moment think what it is... but definately not mallow...

can you leave the first one to grow... it actually looks like a type of campanula... but would really need to let it flower to make sure...
Second looks like a type of Dandelion...

I sadly can't leave it to grow. I had some dandelions growing in a very small section of the yard for Thor when he arrived. And my neighbors actually called the city on me and I got cited to get rid of the "Noxious" weeds. They are really, really bad neighbors, I hear them yelling at each other all the time, but that's besides the point :p

I'll try to get some pictures today. And I don't think the one is dandelion. I have those, but dandelion has much more frilled edges than that.

Quickly googled campanula and it looks nothing like either of those so I don't know.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ges?q=campanula+plant+picture&hl=en&sa=X&um=1

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Kelly, maybe pennyroyal? That's what it looked like more to me. their leaves are a lighter green I think than the mallow.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Were the weeds in your backyard? I don't see how they can call the city about it unless you have your whole yard overrun with them. Can you hide them more, such as behind a temporary garden wall or a bush/tree? Crazy!

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
tortoisenerd said:
Were the weeds in your backyard? I don't see how they can call the city about it unless you have your whole yard overrun with them. Can you hide them more, such as behind a temporary garden wall or a bush/tree? Crazy!

Yep, they sure were in my backyard, and in a corner at that. Next to one of my wood piles I use for firewood. They are just mean people.

I may even have to not let some of Thors weeds in his enclosure grow very tall either. Although, i think thistle is the only one that gets really tall. But I imagine he'll do a good job at keeping the grass/weeds down once he's a little bigger :p

lezsolt

5 Year Member
I have A LOT of the first one in my garden and in my tort enclosure. It grows very quickly (spreading on the ground) and newer and newer ones keep appearing. It MIGHT be some kind of Viola (Viola odorata or Viola reichenbachiana), but it's just a guess. My torts eat it sometimes, but it's not their favourite plant.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Thanks guys.

It looks like it could be Viola or Geranium too ugh. I wish I could let it grow, but I can't take any chances on them calling the city again. Although, for 1 plant, I think it'd be harassment at this point.

It's been raining here all week so can't get any good pictures as the plants got smooshed down somewhat. And some bunnies have been eating things here too.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Rob, I don't think it's geranium. I have scads of those. What type of stem does it have is it hard, soft, round, squared, squared with lines on it? Sometimes that helps. You say it grows close to the ground because you mow it all the time? does it spread out from a central stalk? on the stalk how are the leaves arranged one on each side? one a little higher than the other? Several grouped together? Whe the leaf is young is it curled or folded? what does the leaf smell like when you crush it between your fingers (this is an important one)?
I know I know Lots and lots of questions.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Hopefully some better pictures. My neighbor has a lot of them, that I don't think she mows this area. They are growing through a fence that's laying on the ground. So these plants are probably pretty established.

I don't see any flowers still. From pulling them up, it seems like none are connected to each other. Each circular plant is it's own.
000_0004-1.jpg

Another
000_0003-1.jpg

And is this a type of Plaintain? If not, any ideas? Hard to see but it has 1 long stem coming straight up, and has a white/cream colored flower, except not like a usual flower. It was like a round top with little tiny petals coming off of it.
000_0008.jpg

And this one shows the long stem coming up, see the white near the top and the line going up?
000_0009-1.jpg

And lastly, not sure what this is. It was hard to take a good shot as it was really into the grass, even cut.
000_0005-1.jpg

And another. It looked like they were all branching out from 1 central spot in the middle of the picture.
000_0007.jpg

S

stells

The first actually looks like young garlic mustard leaves... when you pull them up do they smell garlicy??

Second is ribwort plantain... great food..

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Thanks guys. I agree that the one is definitely ribwort plantain.

I will have go check tomorrow to see what they smell like. I am not sure if it's the Ivy one though, solely because NONE are connected to each other. Each circular leaf/plant is by itself, no runners or connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.