Anyone know this one?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Check to see if it is Sow Thistle

Sow Thistle is dandelion-like / weedy / erect / up to 6 feet tall / several dandelion-like flowerheads clustered at the end of stems / unbranching;

From Tort Table

• Common Name: Sow Thistle (Smooth Sowthistle, Annual Sow Thistle, Hare's Colwort, Prickly Sowthistle, Field Sowthistle, Perennial Sow Thistle, Spiny Sow Thistle)
  • Latin Name: Sonchus spp. esp. Sonchus oleraceus
  • Family Name: Asteraceae/Compositae
There are 130 species of Sow Thistle (Sowthistle), some with smooth leaves and some with spiny leaves. All can readily readily soak up nitrates from the soil, and in large quantities nitrates may reduce the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood. If the Sow Thistles are growing on nitrogen-rich soil (e.g. soil that has had chemical fertilisers added, or rich potting compost) then feed in small quantities only, but if grown on poor soil then they are safe to feed.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Are there two plants there? I see a sow thistle and perhaps something else with fuzzy stems. It’s the one with the red and black assassin bug on it in the second picture.

Chasen

Galveston
Check to see if it is Sow Thistle

Sow Thistle is dandelion-like / weedy / erect / up to 6 feet tall / several dandelion-like flowerheads clustered at the end of stems / unbranching;

From Tort Table

• Common Name: Sow Thistle (Smooth Sowthistle, Annual Sow Thistle, Hare's Colwort, Prickly Sowthistle, Field Sowthistle, Perennial Sow Thistle, Spiny Sow Thistle)
  • Latin Name: Sonchus spp. esp. Sonchus oleraceus
  • Family Name: Asteraceae/Compositae
There are 130 species of Sow Thistle (Sowthistle), some with smooth leaves and some with spiny leaves. All can readily readily soak up nitrates from the soil, and in large quantities nitrates may reduce the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood. If the Sow Thistles are growing on nitrogen-rich soil (e.g. soil that has had chemical fertilisers added, or rich potting compost) then feed in small quantities only, but if grown on poor soil then they are safe to feed.
I didn't think sow thistle had such broad leaves.

Chasen

Galveston
Are there two plants there? I see a sow thistle and perhaps something else with fuzzy stems. It’s the one with the red and black assassin bug on it in the second picture.
Now I'm wondering if I was duped. LOL It does appear to be something going on there. I have to go back and have a closer look. Might explain my confusion. o_O:confused:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The leaves look a little different than my sow thistle here, but the flowers, flower stems and fuzz balls look identical to my sow thistle here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That was my thought exactly. I'm thinking there's a blooming sow thistle in among the leaves of another plant. I don't recognize the broad-leaf plant in the picture, sorry.

Chasen

Galveston
The leaves look a little different than my sow thistle here, but the flowers, flower stems and fuzz balls look identical to my sow thistle here.
Exactly. I'm in a new habitat myself and thought I'd found something new to me. I have to return to the location and see if I was duped. lol

Chasen

Galveston
That was my thought exactly. I'm thinking there's a blooming sow thistle in among the leaves of another plant. I don't recognize the broad-leaf plant in the picture, sorry.
I'll keep you all updated after I get back over there to see if there's 2 plants together.