Anyone dealt with Peacock mantis shrimp

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I want to get one. My only experience with them was years ago the fish store I work for had one. Owner of the store took full responsibility for it, as he wanted no mistakes and fingers smashed or cut up.
They sound very easy to care for. I love their color and uniqueness. I am very familiar with salt water tanks. I used to have both small reef and 100 gallon fish and a few in-between
If you had one did you enjoy it or regret it?
Would I really have to worry about it breaking the glass?
I have a 20 gallon I would be using.
Any advice welcomed

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I want to get one. My only experience with them was years ago the fish store I work for had one. Owner of the store took full responsibility for it, as he wanted no mistakes and fingers smashed or cut up.
They sound very easy to care for. I love their color and uniqueness. I am very familiar with salt water tanks. I used to have both small reef and 100 gallon fish and a few in-between
If you had one did you enjoy it or regret it?
Would I really have to worry about it breaking the glass?
I have a 20 gallon I would be using.
Any advice welcomed
The only Mantis shrimp I ever had. I had by accident when I bought some live coral. Not a colorful one.
I kept hearing a loud WHACK sound that I couldn't identify until I saw him. I could hear it from the next room.
Several of my Damsels had disappeared by that time.
He never broke the glass.
Do you have salt water fishtank experience? I ask because larger aquariums are easier to stabilize and keep within parameters.
Personally, I like the 29 gallon standard.
From my few weeks of experience, I'd say: They eat fish. They love to hide. And you might never see him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The only Mantis shrimp I ever had. I had by accident when I bought some live coral. Not a colorful one.
I kept hearing a loud WHACK sound that I couldn't identify until I saw him. I could hear it from the next room.
Several of my Damsels had disappeared by that time.
He never broke the glass.
Do you have salt water fishtank experience? I ask because larger aquariums are easier to stabilize and keep within parameters.
Personally, I like the 29 gallon standard.
From my few weeks of experience, I'd say: They eat fish. They love to hide. And you might never see him.
Yes I have had salt water aquariums as stated from coral to 100 gallon fish tank. Kept marine tanks for many years, plus I work in a fish aquarium store now for over 15 years.
I do know that the larger the tank the easier to care for. But with the mantis being the only occupant, it should be a breeze to maintain.
The Whacking sound is also a concern. I don't want to hear that all day or all night.
I figured it won't be seen much, but that's also why I would do a smaller tank.

Eathoset

USA
Peacock mantis shrimp are fascinating creatures known for their vibrant colors and unique behaviors. They can be a great addition to a saltwater tank, but they do require special care.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Peacock mantis shrimp are fascinating creatures known for their vibrant colors and unique behaviors. They can be a great addition to a saltwater tank, but they do require special care.
Yes, those are so beautiful. They are expensive though, the more colorful ones. If I ever decide to get one, he would be by itself in a 30 gallon.

Eathoset

USA
One thing to keep in mind is their incredible strength – they have powerful claws that can break aquarium glass if they feel threatened or if their environment isn't suitable. It's essential to provide them with plenty of hiding places and a well-structured tank to prevent this.
Invertopia offers a variety of mantis shrimp species, including the Peacock mantis shrimp. They can provide you with more information on caring for these creatures and ensure you have everything you need for a successful setup.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
One thing to keep in mind is their incredible strength – they have powerful claws that can break aquarium glass if they feel threatened or if their environment isn't suitable. It's essential to provide them with plenty of hiding places and a well-structured tank to prevent this.
Invertopia offers a variety of mantis shrimp species, including the Peacock mantis shrimp. They can provide you with more information on caring for these creatures and ensure you have everything you need for a successful setup.
Thanks
I read a lot of the breaking the glass, but seems no one has had it happen or any proof of it.
But I have also read that it's not true.
I just found invertopia the other day.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Thanks
I read a lot of the breaking the glass, but seems no one has had it happen or any proof of it.
But I have also read that it's not true.
I just found invertopia the other day.
My oldest daughter had one and wanted to kill it to remove it from a tank....because she was afraid it would break the tank too.

We managed w/o killing the poor creature.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My oldest daughter had one and wanted to kill it to remove it from a tank....because she was afraid it would break the tank too.

We managed w/o killing the poor creature.
That's was what I have worried about too. But I have read different things that they can't really break a tank and other places that can but the likelihood is almost zero.
I haven't decided yet if I'm going to get one,still debating.