anybody with a CBW in SC

Status
Not open for further replies.

rr2266

5 Year Member
Is there anybody with a CBW near Charleston, SC. I would like to get some radiated tortoises and try to find somebody who is willing to recieve the tortoises for me.

Thanks

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenmoore, PA
Anyone have a car insurance policy I can use? I was hoping to get a car but I don't want to pay for my own insurance policy...don't worry I'm a great driver.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
jeffbens0n said:
Anyone have a car insurance policy I can use? I was hoping to get a car but I don't want to pay for my own insurance policy...don't worry I'm a great driver.

I would rather just loan you one of my vehicles, lol.

5oz5ap.jpg

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Have you ever introduced yourself? This sounds like some form of Nigerian scheme to me..

EricIvins

5 Year Member
dalano73 said:
Have you ever introduced yourself? This sounds like some form of Nigerian scheme to me..

How so? This would be one of three ways to receive an ESA listed animal, and not everyone wants to give Radiated Tortoises away for free ( another one of the three ways to receive an ESA listed animal )........

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
EricIvins said:
dalano73 said:

How so? This would be one of three ways to receive an ESA listed animal, and not everyone wants to give Radiated Tortoises away for free ( another one of the three ways to receive an ESA listed animal )........

Lets say I asked you to receive a box for me no questions asked and I am willing to give you a small payment for helping. You get the box and a front yard full of police. Do you think they are going to believe that you were clueless about that box, that "o yea, is full of drugs"?

If someone asks you to receive an animal without much information you better run for the hills, even for a ESA listed animal and especially receiving something from someone who won't even give us there name.

I have nothing against this member how has not given us any information about him or herself. However, while getting my BA in Criminal Justice, I have read about so many people getting sucked into scheme's that sounded just like this.

How so, because scam artist in Nigeria try getting clueless people in the U.S. to help them commit crimes like mail fraud and the only one risking anything is that gullible person who didn't figure out that something wasn't right.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
dalano73 said:
EricIvins said:
dalano73 said:

Lets say I asked you to receive a box for me no questions asked and I am willing to give you a small payment for helping. You get the box and a front yard full of police. Do you think they are going to believe that you were clueless about that box, that "o yea, is full of drugs"?

If someone asks you to receive an animal without much information you better run for the hills, even for a ESA listed animal and especially receiving something from someone who won't even give us there name.

I have nothing against this member how has not given us any information about him or herself. However, while getting my BA in Criminal Justice, I have read about so many people getting sucked into scheme's that sounded just like this.

How so, because scam artist in Nigeria try getting clueless people in the U.S. to help them commit crimes like mail fraud and the only one risking anything is that gullible person who didn't figure out that something wasn't right.

This is a Tortoise, not Drugs, nor Africans.......

Anyone with a CBW Permit isn't going to be stupid enough to lose it.......It would have to come from another valid CBW Permit holder to be shipped across State lines anyway..........

Most CBW Permit holders know just about all the other CBW Permit holders, otherwise they won't be doing too much business with thier ESA listed animals........Pretty simple actually.....

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
If I understand this correctly, the cbw holder imports the radiateds into the state, and then sells without a permit, since they are already in the state?

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
yagyujubei said:
If I understand this correctly, the cbw holder imports the radiateds into the state, and then sells without a permit, since they are already in the state?

It doesn't work that way. To sell will require a permit regardless.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
tortoises101 said:
yagyujubei said:

It doesn't work that way. To sell will require a permit regardless.

It does work that way........Any ESA listed animal can be sold without a CBW Permit as long as it is from legal origin, and it doesn't cross State lines.......

To cross State lines ( Interstate Commerce ), both buyer and seller need a valid CBW Permit for it to be legal.......

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Sounds fishy but... Assuming the origin of the CBW-required specimens is in a state other than SC (the destination), a CBW holder (for that species) could sell to a CBW holder in SC. The CBW holder in SC could then sell in-state to one that does not have a CBW, however, intentionally circumventing the law in that fashion is almost certainly illegal.

Consider this possibility... The purchaser in SC has a CBW and gets the CBW # from the originator. There is no easy way to verify whether a CBW # is legit except from the annual list sent to permit holders or requested from FWS by an individual and "Unless specifically permitted on the face thereof, no permit shall be copied, nor shall any copy of a permit issued pursuant to this subchapter B be displayed, offered for inspection, or otherwise used for any official purpose for which the permit was issued." - so no sending a copy and if sent, it is worthless. Unbeknownst to the permit holder in SC, the number is bogus but is explained away as "just received and not on the list yet." The animals get shipped violating the ESA and Lacey Act and the CBW holder in SC sells the illegal animals to the ultimate destination in SC (count 2 of each violation). The rest, as they say, is history...

I am not saying that the original inquiry is some form of sting or that the transaction could not be legally accomplished. But I would be absolutely certain in every respect that it was legit before pursuing it...

Status
Not open for further replies.