Anybody want to guess my sulcata's sex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
It's 9 1/2" SCL so maybe too small to tell yet?

DSCF7951.jpg

DSCF7954.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Damn! I hate to guess before Danny. I always get it wrong! :rolleyes:

It looks like a male tail to me. This is about what size the are when the males "show their stuff." So if you haven't seen "it" yet, maybe he's female??

Yvonne

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Id guess girl. I would think there would be a at least a little growth in the tail at close to 10"

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Go with your gut Yvonne :D Looks like a young male to me. See your getting better at this. ;)

Danny

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Usually male's tails don't start getting big till after they are 12 inches. That's why most people say it's hard to sex a sulcata till they are over 12 inches, as most people go by the tail size.

Danny

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
By the photo you have I would have to say you have a female.The male usually has a long,thick tail,large gular scutes, concave plastron and the anal scutes are quite wide.The photo that you have shows small gular scutes, narrow anal scutes, what looks like a flat plastron and the tail is not so clear.In my opinion you have a young female but time will tell for sure,tom.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Its amazing how fast the tail grows I guess its like puberty when like over 2 months you get all hairy and voice starts to change.

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
So Danny's the expert?
how accurate do you feel percentage wise?

Thanks btw

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
aktech23 said:
So Danny's the expert?
how accurate do you feel percentage wise?

Thanks btw

Are you talking about Danny's percentage? Of course, we can't prove it, but in my opinion, he's been correct 100% of the time.

Yvonne

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Are you talking about Danny's percentage? Of course, we can't prove it, but in my opinion, he's been correct 100% of the time.

Yvonne

Yes, Danny's percentage but in his opinion.
I'm just wondering if I should commit to calling him he :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
aktech23 said:
emysemys said:

Yvonne

Yes, Danny's percentage but in his opinion.
I'm just wondering if I should commit to calling him he :D

I think you can take it to the bank!!!:p

Yvonne

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm usually pretty good :p but not sure if I'm at 100% (Thanks though Yvonne :D)

I would say I'm 90% sure of the sex of your sulcata.

Danny

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
If you take those odds based on that picture you will be changing the name of your tortoise down the road.I think danny is wrong, in fact I would take a bet.The tail of a tortoise does not always tell the sex and what are you looking at, you can't even see the tail in the picture?If i were you aktech23 i would give it a girls name.

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I named it when I found it, that name is sticking regardless. (tortimer)
really I would prefer a female. sulcatas get a little large.
I found it in the street last year while i was in the process of going through adopting an arizona desert tortoise.

I decided to keep the sulcata when no owners surfaced. With all the foreclosures gong on in AZ I figured it was abandoned. That or it was getting to big for it's owners.

This guy was getting pyramided when i found it so it should be in a better home now. New growth is looking good.

DSCF7948.jpg

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I won't even venture to guess. But you have a lovely little 'Tortimer' aktech23 :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
TKCARDANDCOIN said:
If you take those odds based on that picture you will be changing the name of your tortoise down the road.I think danny is wrong, in fact I would take a bet.The tail of a tortoise does not always tell the sex and what are you looking at, you can't even see the tail in the picture?If i were you aktech23 i would give it a girls name.

What I was going by was the cloaca placement, not the tail itself. In a female the cloaca is closer to the body. Tortimer's cloaca is further away from the body towards the tip of the tail. In other words...male!!

Yvonne

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
What I was going by was the cloaca placement, not the tail itself. In a female the cloaca is closer to the body. Tortimer's cloaca is further away from the body towards the tip of the tail. In other words...male!!

Ahh.. I see, if this is the case then I would say you are correct, it is near the back of his body and close to the tail. this is more apparent to me when i look at him then it appears in the pics.

Crazy1 said:
I won't even venture to guess. But you have a lovely little 'Tortimer' aktech23 :)

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.