Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5inko.seven

Hello everyone, I plan to order 2 sulcata hatchlings but before I want to make sure that I have everything set up. My terrarium is 55 gal and this is what I have so far: zilla heat pad, UVA/UVB lighting, night bulb, cypress mulch and Zoo Med Eco Reptile Terrarium Carpet. I'm concerned about very high humidity levels so I decided not to put a water dish inside but correct me if I'm doing wrong. I plan to mist them frequently and soak them twice a day, feed them spring mix and mazuri once in a while. Anything else that I need to know? Thanks :D

Attachments

• IMG_20121025_183344.jpg
    IMG_20121025_183344.jpg
    767.2 KB · Views: 92

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Surprise, AZ
High humidity is good. They need the water dish. I think you need some more hides. Maybe a humid hide as well. I would take out the carpet stuff and put in coconut fiber or coo coir. The heat thing...is it a rock or an under the tank thing? Heat rocks are bad. Do you have the coil type bulbs? They can hurt their little eyes. Go to the Sulcata section and look under the stickies. Tom's threads on how to raise a Sulcata are the way to go!

5inko.seven

LuckysGirl007 said:
High humidity is good. They need the water dish. I think you need some more hides. Maybe a humid hide as well. I would take out the carpet stuff and put in coconut fiber or coo coir. The heat thing...is it a rock or an under the tank thing? Heat rocks are bad. Do you have the coil type bulbs? They can hurt their little eyes. Go to the Sulcata section and look under the stickies. Tom's threads on how to raise a Sulcata are the way to go!

Great thanks for the advise, I just checked out Tom's threads they're great and very detailed. Oh and no I know that heat rocks are bad it is just a heat mat at the bottom of the tank.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Pair's don't usually do well together. Bullying usually occurs. It's best to get one or 3+

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
I HIGHLY recommend a water dish. You will never have too high of humidity, promise. Plus they need a shallow access of water to soak and drink at their leisure.

DanieltheAnvil

5 Year Member
Bradenton, Florida
I agree with everyone else so far. even though these guys are desert tortoises, they are born in the rainy season so they need lots of moisture. you need high humidity no less then 50 percent but more like 80percent. they need daily soaks of at least 20 min. water should be shallow so they can keep their head out of the water. these guys dont float. They also need a water dish. so they can get in it as well. once again a shallow but wide dish is good so they kee their head above water.

i also agree you should lose the carpet. that will just cause so much hassle with the amount of waste two torts will have plus with the water and humditiy, it wouldnt be good. eco eath, coco coir, cypress mulch clean top soil are some of my faves due to prices and connivence.

good luck though. sulcatas are great. watch for bullying. I have two hatchlings and they get along fine. but as they grow i have to plan for a larger enclosure to give enough personal space. haha

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, 5inko.seven, and Welcome to the Forum!!

One thing (besides the fact you need substrate all over the whole floor) I noticed right off is the gauges. In order for you to know what temps your baby lives in, you need to have them closer down to where he lives. Naturally, its going to be hotter up high, but he's not up high. And once you move them down to floor level, you also should buy a point and shoot temp gun just to keep double checking.

DanieltheAnvil

5 Year Member
Bradenton, Florida
emysemys said:
Hi, 5inko.seven, and Welcome to the Forum!!

One thing (besides the fact you need substrate all over the whole floor) I noticed right off is the gauges. In order for you to know what temps your baby lives in, you need to have them closer down to where he lives. Naturally, its going to be hotter up high, but he's not up high. And once you move them down to floor level, you also should buy a point and shoot temp gun just to keep double checking.

Good eye Emy, I didnt even notice that. that is why this forum is cool. collectively problems get solved.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I have to concur with everything and stress to you the importance of getting one or three or more. Two does not work. It can for some people but on the whole, is not a good idea. Look up Tom's posts and you will see that you need at least three and if you can't care for three, just get one. That is just my opinion, but others on this site have made me aware of how important it is to get more than two. Good luck and post lots of pictures. :)

5inko.seven

5inko.seven said:
Hello everyone, I plan to order 2 sulcata hatchlings but before I want to make sure that I have everything set up. My terrarium is 55 gal and this is what I have so far: zilla heat pad, UVA/UVB lighting, night bulb, cypress mulch and Zoo Med Eco Reptile Terrarium Carpet. I'm concerned about very high humidity levels so I decided not to put a water dish inside but correct me if I'm doing wrong. I plan to mist them frequently and soak them twice a day, feed them spring mix and mazuri once in a while. Anything else that I need to know? Thanks :D

Hi everyone first of all I want to thank everyone for their great help and for welcoming me, I've done some changes to my terrarium I added cypress mulch in the full terrarium however not nearby the food dish to avoid impaction i don't know if it's a good idea but let me know what you think :) . emysemys thanks for welcoming me and for letting me know about the gauges I did not think of that, however the humidity gauge stays around 75 is that good?
DanieltheAnvil Thanks for the great advise, how can I watch for bullying? Do you mean like biting each other, I will be getting three just in case though, and yes I plan to keep them in my backyard when they get big enough I have plenty of grass and we have never used fertilizer. What is the age when I can keep them outside full time I live in San Jose California in the day it is usually sunny and warm/hot and in the night the temperature falls to like around 60 F, I would put them in like dog houses with heat pads and heat night lapms?
[size=large]THIS FORUM ID GREAT THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!:D[/size]

Status
Not open for further replies.