ANY KNOWLEDGIBLE COIN COLLECTORS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Sorry I have been collecting coins for many years (most of my adult life) But I can't tell, though I have bought a few fakes on ebay before. Did he have any concerns about it?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
This was his question: Is this a genuine coin or a good fake?I wrote to ask why he thought it might not be real. I bought this several years ago on ebay, but I don't have that info. I think I paid $200 or $220.
dmmj said:
Sorry I have been collecting coins for many years (most of my adult life) But I can't tell, though I have bought a few fakes on ebay before. Did he have any concerns about it?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Well, I have almost two days to decide what to do. But I am a little worried right now. I don't want to cheat anyone, but if it's no good, then I got cheated.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Well perhaps the low price of it has the buyer a little worried.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I looked at his feedback, and he only bought one thing in the past year. Maybe that's a standard question of his. It's odd though, usually coin buyers have more purchases.
dmmj said:
Well perhaps the low price of it has the buyer a little worried.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can always take it to a coin shop in your town and have it authenticated.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
What Yvonne said.

It looks it, but it's hard to tell.

Usually coins that are counterfeit are mass produced for use as regular currency, or very expensive and extremely rare ones.

I have quite a few of those pennies, certified authentic, and I have to be honest, I see absolutely no difference. I would say you have no reason to believe it is anything but. If you wanted, a coin shop would look at it for free and you could probably get them to give it a certification of authenticity.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Thanks, The guy wrote back and told me that since he heard of there being fakes out there, he was just checking. It seems odd though, who would admit to selling a known fake. This date isn't extremely rare , no vdb, I told him if he thinks it might not be right, don't bid.
Nixxy said:
What Yvonne said.

It looks it, but it's hard to tell.

Usually coins that are counterfeit are mass produced for use as regular currency, or very expensive and extremely rare ones.

I have quite a few of those pennies, certified authentic, and I have to be honest, I see absolutely no difference. I would say you have no reason to believe it is anything but. If you wanted, a coin shop would look at it for free and you could probably get them to give it a certification of authenticity.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Pretty much. I can understand anyone being a bit cautious about buying anything that has a slight possibility of being fake.

It's a nice coin, though.

Looks like you sold it. Good job! Got a good amount, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.