Any help welcomed for outdoor enclosure

Joyce pellicci

Thanks.

I have a 3 year old horsefield. Had him for over a year now. I have a successful indoor enclosure. Would like advice on an outdoor enclosure. I live in Scotland so weather is poor. I would ideally like to house him outside 24/7 if this is possible?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Your tort is quite small and certainly won't be able to live outdoors year round. I can't achieve that in Kent!

You can make adaptations to make the warmer season more liveable.

- a cold frame (propped on bricks, or with a hole cut in the side) placed in a sunny spot makes a great warm up area and shelter

- slate chips in a sunny spot help to increase the temperature of an outdoor basking spot

- a basking lamp can be put in a dog kennel or similar so your tort can use that to bask and wander outdoors when it wants

You need to be aware of your local predators. Red kites, foxes, badgers, pine martens could all be a problem especially to a small tort. Shutting your tort away at night may be the only practical response to both predation risk and temperature

Joyce pellicci

Thank you so much. So a basking lamp would all that would be required electrically outside?
I have been looking at cold frames, think I will go for that option.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It will be colder and wetter where you are than it is for me. Cold and wet isn't good for torts.

If I were you I would be looking at something like a very large dog kennel or wooden garden chest with a doorway cut in it. You need something with a lid/roof that lifts so you can get in easily to clean it, etc.

Line it with insulating material to keep the temperature up. I have a clear plastic strip curtain over the doorway of the kennel to retain heat.

Think about the flooring. Put substrate of some sort in it as your tort will spend a fair amount if time in there.

Put a basking lamp in it hanging from a lamp stand with a dark coloured paving slab underneath to make a basking area. Use a timer with the lamp.

Joe doesn't sleep in ours, he is a 50 year old 3kg monster living down south, but your tort should. Put a second lamp stand in and from that hang a CHE on both a timer and thermostat. This should be timed to come on when your basking lamp is off to maintain a healthy sleeping temp around 60F/15C

Joyce pellicci

Thanks for all the info! I will begin prep for next 'summer'!!
No, I don't think I feel confident enough to try and hibernate him. I've read that it can be quite tricky.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Don't forget to have a browse through the Enclosures section here as well.
Lots of good ideas for outdoor enclosures in cold climates there.