Any feedback for this enclosure

fredix

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hi,

Any feedback for this enclosure for my first sulcata?
1.i have read for tortoise,it is better using closed chamber,i would fix it later.
2.the substrate is using coco coir and coco husk,but later i would change to full coco husk because coco coir is very messy and made water dirty. The depth of the substrate is around 3-5cm.
3.the humidity is around 60-85%,but because it is open chamber, it stay stable around 60-65 mostly.any harm if the humid at that level for 1 month( until i bought tools to create closed chamber). I have read from this forum humid should around 80%.
4.is tortoise safe to eat the substrate(coco coir)?
5. The enclosure is placed in balcony,so im not using my basking bulb. The coverage of the sunlight is around 40% of the enclosure and protected from the rain.
6.forget about the house mode from block,that is my boy's creation :))

Attachments

• 20230615_123837.jpg
    20230615_123837.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 20230615_123819.jpg
    20230615_123819.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I see no food! Water dish should be similar to the red plant base so it can walk in, drink and sit. I recommend small stones around both dishes to enable ingress and egress. I would get a low rock or 2 available from tropical fish stores in the middle to reduce end to end vision. Check heat and light but looks OK.

fredix

Indonesia
Hi sarah,

Thanks for feedback.
I forgot to place back my food plate when take a photo. It's similar with the water dish but a bit smaller. What i'm worrying right now, is the substrate wet enough or too wed for my tortoise?
I see no food! Water dish should be similar to the red plant base so it can walk in, drink and sit. I recommend small stones around both dishes to enable ingress and egress. I would get a low rock or 2 available from tropical fish stores in the middle to reduce end to end vision. Check heat and light but looks OK.

fredix

Indonesia
And,
I want to ask,how to reduce the tortoise keep flipped himself because of climbing. Which part should be repaired to reduce flipped. I often catch the sulcata trying to climb the edge of the enclosure and flipped himself.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
And,
I want to ask,how to reduce the tortoise keep flipped himself because of climbing. Which part should be repaired to reduce flipped. I often catch the sulcata trying to climb the edge of the enclosure and flipped himself.
Anything that does not sit even with the substrate can be a potential flip hazard, especially that smaller water dish you have. You can also try using something to round out the corners of your enclosure if they become problematic. I can't tell if those are wood chips mixed in with your substrate, but be cautious with those as well. They can create an impaction if swallowed. Is this it's "permanent" enclosure or just a secondary one you placed outdoors?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
How warm is the enclosure? I know this is temporary but I don’t see babies successfully housed this way much

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,

Any feedback for this enclosure for my first sulcata?
1.i have read for tortoise,it is better using closed chamber,i would fix it later.
2.the substrate is using coco coir and coco husk,but later i would change to full coco husk because coco coir is very messy and made water dirty. The depth of the substrate is around 3-5cm.
3.the humidity is around 60-85%,but because it is open chamber, it stay stable around 60-65 mostly.any harm if the humid at that level for 1 month( until i bought tools to create closed chamber). I have read from this forum humid should around 80%.
4.is tortoise safe to eat the substrate(coco coir)?
5. The enclosure is placed in balcony,so im not using my basking bulb. The coverage of the sunlight is around 40% of the enclosure and protected from the rain.
6.forget about the house mode from block,that is my boy's creation :))
1. Fix it now. Damage is being done daily. Your tortoise is already starting to pyramid and you cannot undo pyramiding once it happens.
2. Coco coir is okay, but messy. Hand pack it to reduce the mess. I don't like chip for tortoises. Impaction risk. Fine grade orchid bark works best.
3. Humidity needs to be MINIMUM 80. Higher is better. This is only achievable in a large closed chamber with the heat and lights inside.
4. Small amounts that are accidentally ingested won't hurt anything. If the tortoise is intentionally eating mouthfuls of it, then you have a problem.
5. This is a mistake. Outdoors all day is bad for babies. Outdoors is great for larger juveniles and adults, but babies are better when kept mostly indoors until they gain some size. Also, climate doesn't matter when it comes to this. This is true even in their native range in their native country. In the wild, little babies do not expose themselves to the elements. They hide in thick, humid, warm underbrush areas.
6. Nothing wrong with the house. Its good that your boy is interested and wants to contribute.

I would also get rid of the white pebbles before your tortoise gets large enough to swallow them.

Also get rid of the little tan colored ramped water dish. That is a death trap for a tortoise.

Here is all the care info for your review:

fredix

Indonesia
Anything that does not sit even with the substrate can be a potential flip hazard, especially that smaller water dish you have. You can also try using something to round out the corners of your enclosure if they become problematic. I can't tell if those are wood chips mixed in with your substrate, but be cautious with those as well. They can create an impaction if swallowed. Is this it's "permanent" enclosure or just a secondary one you placed outdoors?
Hi tim,

Thanks for your feedback,that is coco husk mixed with coco coir. I will take note for that as i think it is the same size like orchard bark that everyone talking in this forum(i dont find any store that sell orchard bark in my area).

I'm thinking build a closed chamber in that place,so the base will stay the same.

fredix

Indonesia
How warm is the enclosure? I know this is temporary but I don’t see babies successfully housed this way much
Hi Sinla,

Sorry forget to mention,the temperature is around 27-32 celcius or 80-90 fahrenheit. Any feedback? I will build the closed chamber in the same place.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Hi Sinla,

Sorry forget to mention,the temperature is around 27-32 celcius or 80-90 fahrenheit. Any feedback? I will build the closed chamber in the same place.

How cold does it get at night? (boy I would love to live there, i get cold when it drops below 70!)

Otherwise, follow everything @Tom says, is my advice

fredix

Indonesia
1. Fix it now. Damage is being done daily. Your tortoise is already starting to pyramid and you cannot undo pyramiding once it happens.
2. Coco coir is okay, but messy. Hand pack it to reduce the mess. I don't like chip for tortoises. Impaction risk. Fine grade orchid bark works best.
3. Humidity needs to be MINIMUM 80. Higher is better. This is only achievable in a large closed chamber with the heat and lights inside.
4. Small amounts that are accidentally ingested won't hurt anything. If the tortoise is intentionally eating mouthfuls of it, then you have a problem.
5. This is a mistake. Outdoors all day is bad for babies. Outdoors is great for larger juveniles and adults, but babies are better when kept mostly indoors until they gain some size. Also, climate doesn't matter when it comes to this. This is true even in their native range in their native country. In the wild, little babies do not expose themselves to the elements. They hide in thick, humid, warm underbrush areas.
6. Nothing wrong with the house. Its good that your boy is interested and wants to contribute.

I would also get rid of the white pebbles before your tortoise gets large enough to swallow them.

Also get rid of the little tan colored ramped water dish. That is a death trap for a tortoise.

Here is all the care info for your review:
Hi tom,
I have read many of your post before and find it very useful(mainly you state sulcata is not a desert animal,i have so wrong thinking he live in the desert before because my local seller always say i need to keep the enclosure very hot to keep the shell healthy).thanks.unfortunately i have bough many unuseful accesories along with the sulcata from my local keeper(2 super hot uvb for rotating day and night,water dish in the image i attached,and high protein pellet)

I have read too you always state baby should not stay in the outdoor. But,can i clarify to make it clear? I live in the country that average humidity 70-80% all years (i bought an hygrometer(placed like in the photos before) to check it,but it is around 60-65% in the last 2 days. But i just check it right now it is around 75-80%.the temperature is stable at 27-32 celcius or 80-90 fahrenheit.
So with the natural humidity in my country is that high and actually the enclosure is placed in my balcony that protected from the rain(100% safe) and sunlight that cover 40% from the enclosure, we can say it "semi outdoor" and safe? Need further guidance, because i'm planning to build a closed chamber in the exact place :)

Ps: screenshot show average temperature and humidity in my place.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230615_230140_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20230615_230140_Edge.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20230615_230146_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20230615_230146_Edge.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 3

fredix

Indonesia
How cold does it get at night? (boy I would love to live there, i get cold when it drops below 70!)

Otherwise, follow everything @Tom says, is my advice
Hi sinla,

I just capture the temperature at 23:36 PM(right now in my place when i typing this reply), it show 29 celcius or 84 fahrenheit. The natural humidity is high,75%.

Attachments

• 20230615_233519.jpg
    20230615_233519.jpg
    1,022.4 KB · Views: 2

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Hi sinla,

I just capture the temperature at 23:36 PM(right now in my place when i typing this reply), it show 29 celcius or 84 fahrenheit. The natural humidity is high,75%.
Man I wish I lived there!! that's like my ideal temperature

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi tom,
I have read many of your post before and find it very useful(mainly you state sulcata is not a desert animal,i have so wrong thinking he live in the desert before because my local seller always say i need to keep the enclosure very hot to keep the shell healthy).thanks.unfortunately i have bough many unuseful accesories along with the sulcata from my local keeper(2 super hot uvb for rotating day and night,water dish in the image i attached,and high protein pellet)

I have read too you always state baby should not stay in the outdoor. But,can i clarify to make it clear? I live in the country that average humidity 70-80% all years (i bought an hygrometer(placed like in the photos before) to check it,but it is around 60-65% in the last 2 days. But i just check it right now it is around 75-80%.the temperature is stable at 27-32 celcius or 80-90 fahrenheit.
So with the natural humidity in my country is that high and actually the enclosure is placed in my balcony that protected from the rain(100% safe) and sunlight that cover 40% from the enclosure, we can say it "semi outdoor" and safe? Need further guidance, because i'm planning to build a closed chamber in the exact place :)

Ps: screenshot show average temperature and humidity in my place.
A closed chamber needs to be indoors. Building in that spot exposed to the sun will over heat it. The current enclosure in that place will be good for occasional sunning time a few times per week for an hour or two, but it is not suitable for full time housing.

As I said previously, your climate and current weather do not matter in regards to outdoor vs. indoor housing. Even in the species native range this info applies.

Your tortoise will need the correct heating and lighting in its indoor enclosure.

fredix

Indonesia
A closed chamber needs to be indoors. Building in that spot exposed to the sun will over heat it. The current enclosure in that place will be good for occasional sunning time a few times per week for an hour or two, but it is not suitable for full time housing.

As I said previously, your climate and current weather do not matter in regards to outdoor vs. indoor housing. Even in the species native range this info applies.

Your tortoise will need the correct heating and lighting in its indoor enclosure.
Hi tom,

Sorry I just skipped your explanation before.
Hm... I think i would take a moment before take the next action. In the indoor,i dont have any spacious space. At most 60cmx60cm.
What do you think about the tortoise if i keep it around 1 month at most. Would he build a pyramiding shell?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi tom,

Sorry I just skipped your explanation before.
Hm... I think i would take a moment before take the next action. In the indoor,i dont have any spacious space. At most 60cmx60cm.
What do you think about the tortoise if i keep it around 1 month at most. Would he build a pyramiding shell?
Every day that goes by, the pyramiding gets a little worse. I would try to correct the situation as soon as you can.

fredix

Indonesia
Every day that goes by, the pyramiding gets a little worse. I would try to correct the situation as soon as you can.
hi tom,

thanks for your support. im trying to fix it right now.

Reactions: Tom