Ants

bozotony

Location (City and/or State)
Hialeah Florida
Today like most days, i went to soak my tortoise. While soaking i place its food inside the enclosure on its slate. When i came to check on the food, i saw a ton of ants on the slate trying to take the food. My substrate is cypress mulch so i dont see an ant mound. This is the first time ive seen them. What do i do about this, i dont want ants attacking my tortoise

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Today like most days, i went to soak my tortoise. While soaking i place its food inside the enclosure on its slate. When i came to check on the food, i saw a ton of ants on the slate trying to take the food. My substrate is cypress mulch so i dont see an ant mound. This is the first time ive seen them. What do i do about this, i dont want ants attacking my tortoise
Indoors or outdoors?

bozotony

Hialeah Florida
they are fire ants

bozotony

Hialeah Florida
You need to put down some Amdro ant bait for the ants to carry back to their colony, and keep your tortoise out of that area for a while.
yea i bought some amdro. how long should i wait? Im also going to place some amdro in a mason jar n poke holes in the lid, and keep it in a corner of the enclosure. i saw that idea on another thread from zeropilot

bozotony

Hialeah Florida
You need to put down some Amdro ant bait for the ants to carry back to their colony, and keep your tortoise out of that area for a while.
actually now they might be crazy ants, didnt know those were also red. but still going to place the poisin

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
yea i bought some amdro. how long should i wait? Im also going to place some amdro in a mason jar n poke holes in the lid, and keep it in a corner of the enclosure. i saw that idea on another thread from zeropilot
I pour it directly onto the opening of the ant hill and wait until the ants carry it under ground Usually a couple of hours.

bozotony

Hialeah Florida
actually now they might be crazy ants, didnt know those were also red. but still going to place the poisin
i
I pour it directly onto the opening of the ant hill and wait until the ants carry it under ground Usually a couple of hours.
there is no ant hill, atleast not in the enclosure. cant fine one. im going to search tomorrow

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I also added a tiny bit of food to the jar. Peanut butter and sliced lunch meat is my recipe. It really brought them in. Peanut butter drew in the Bighead ants. The meat seemed to work best on the Fire Ants.
And I treated the yard like Tom said.
I have no issues and I haven't in years.

TanksALot

South Carolina
I don't suggest leaving food out on slate. But, you can use a terracotta pottery dish to place their food in, then place the dish in a larger dish and add water to the larger dish. Ants will not cross a water barrier, so now your feedings will be safe during the Tort's soaking. Food left in attented is just calling out to the ants for a free dinner. However, if you find their home (just watch for a trail leaving the buffet) ridding them can be rewarding. Truly rewarding.

And It's simple. Crazy simple. And most importantly, it's safe for any animals in the area, except of course, the ants... Boil at least a gallon or more of water, then take the water and a glass measuring cup or another type cup, a coffee cup will also do well. Then using the cup, slowly pour the boiling water into the center of the ant hill or where the ants seem to be entering and exiting the area, and any trail they are following to and from their home. You may even be able to see the actual labyrinth during your efforts. Good luck!