Another subspecies question

Juliette

Location (City and/or State)
France
Hello,

I'm the recent owner of an adult greek and I would like to know what subspecies she is. I have her inside for now but the weather is gonna get warm soon (south of France) and I want to make her an appropriate enclosure outside. I would like to know the subspecies so I can try to imitate her original habitat best.

She is quite shiny on the pictures because I had just put coconut oil on her after her bath :) She's also in the sun so she appears more yellow than she is normally.

Anyway here are the pictures :D

zw6qXie.jpg

ZQWvSVU.jpg

IWTvhzB.jpg

lWqi5ZM.jpg

ORlXgqM.jpg

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Does the animal have thigh spurs as most Greek tortoises do? It actually resembles both Testudo graeca marokkensis and Testudo graeca soussensis. A high number of soussensis lack thigh spurs.

Juliette

France
Does the animal have thigh spurs as most Greek tortoises do? It actually resembles both Testudo graeca marokkensis and Testudo graeca soussensis. A high number of soussensis lack thigh spurs.

Yes she does have the spurs her thighs.

Juliette

France
So it looks like there's no way to know for sure ? Am I correct in assuming that either way, since the subspecies is from north africa they do not hibernate ?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
So it looks like there's no way to know for sure ? Am I correct in assuming that either way, since the subspecies is from north africa they do not hibernate ?
You will never get a better appraisal of what subspecies than from Chris @HermanniChris when it comes to Testudo. Based upon his comments and the spurs, it seems most likely a T g marokkensis. But you are correct - both subspecies come from Morocco and would have similar care. Have you looked at the disctriptions of Greek tortoises and brief husbandry comment by Chris at the top of this section?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DMI62HM/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Sorry for the delay. I do feel it’s a marokkensis from southern Morocco hence the lighter color.
Brumation wouldn’t be best for it unless you can provide a cool/dry period of about 2.5 months or so.
I am working as much as I can to finish the new Greek tortoise care sheet but it’s very in-depth and taking a while to get it done. You’ll definitely find some great info in it for your situation.

Juliette

France
Thank you to both of you, you were really helpful. Now I know better what to do with her outdoor enclosure and I know she doesn't go into brumation which were my two main concerns. I'll keep checking the forum for your guide @HermanniChris thank you for the hard work !