An update on Sheldon....

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnreuk

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hampshire, England, UK
Hi all, from the surprisingly sunny UK!

Haven't been on here on a while, thought I'd just let you know that my indian star sheldon seems to be doing well.... at least I think so anyway!!
He was 32g when I got him end of October, and is now 70g.
Seems quite slow but I know they all grow at different rates, and I'd rather he developed well, than fast!! I think he looks ok atm, be happy to know what you all think!!
One of the pics is off the webcam that's mounted in his viv.... I like to spy on him while I'm at work haha!!

ImageUploadedByTortForum1370099883.520823.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1370099870.497144.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

johnreuk

5 Year Member
Hampshire, England, UK
Thank you. I'm trying to grow him as smoothly as possible.... following a lot of advice in this forum! Don't really know what I could do differently re his growth rate though.

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
Some tortoises just grow slower. Indians are the smallest of the sub species and if it is a male, it is going to be much smaller.
As long as it is acting normal and has a nice hard shell, I wouldn't worry about it.
Looks great to me.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
I think that he is BEAUTIFUL!!! Also...I think that he is growing well. Males are a bit smaller than the females.

~C

Homerist

10 Year Member!
pretty star! don't worry too much about the growth and weight. like skottip mentioned, as long as Sheldon is eating, sleeping, drinking and pooping, have a hard shell, he will be fine.

the important thing is the temperature and humidity.
if you are keeping him in a indoor enclosure, these are the guidelines from Jerry Fife's Star Tortoise book:
1) basking spot: 85~90 deg F (29~32 deg C)
2) daytime, above 80 deg F (27 deg C)
3) night, above 70 deg F (21 deg C)

oh one more thing, bring Sheldon to the vet for a poop check for parasites just in case it is hindering the nutrient absorption.

Ansh

5 Year Member
Cambridge, UK
Looking really good!! I've been waiting to see photos of Sheldon. He/she looks gorgeous!

My stars are siblings of yours and about the same age. Will post some updated photos of them soon.

johnreuk

5 Year Member
Hampshire, England, UK
Thanks everyone! Ansh, look forward to seeing more pics of your stars! :)

Homerist, thanks for the info.... I have jerry fife's book, it's excellent isn't it!!! I ended up ordering it from America because I couldn't find it here. Those are the temps I work with too, although it's usually a little warmer at night, around 26-27c in the area he sleeps.

And yeh I regularly check sheldon's faecal samples, since I can do it myself.... ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.