An observation on Russian behavior in relation to outside temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
*I posted this on another thread, but I have been meaning to make my own thread about it. Just something I have noticed.

A lot of people say that their Russians dig down and don't seem to move a lot. Quite often it is a new pet, that just hasn't acclimated, but I also notice that the behavior in question almost always correlates with higher temperatures.

I am starting to believe that most people keep their Russians a bit too warm, much like I believe that many people keep their Sulcatas a bit too warm. By observing both my Russians and my former Sulcatas, I have discovered that the only active basking *I* have ever witnessed took place before 11 AM, which in my area, means before the day hit peak temperatures.

I keep my Russians outside. First thing in the morning, they bask for about an hour, from 9-10 am. They rarely come out of their burrows before 9 AM. Then they graze for about an hour. Once temps hit about 80* F, they all go back to the shade, and remain there the majority of the day. In the afternoon, when it starts to cool down, and the sun drops in the sky a bit, they come out and graze for another hour or two. By 6-7 PM, they are starting to tuck themselves in for the night, even though it doesn't get dark until 10.

My point here is that if it is TOO warm in the overall enclosure, it may make them want to hide more. Mine seem the most active at 65*-79* F, and once it hits 80*, they go into hiding from the sun. I even experimented with this, and put them in a small enclosure in the full sun, with just a tiny shade area created by a piece of plywood. They all crowded underneath it, even though all four barely fit.

It makes COMPLETE sense to me. Russians and Sulcatas are both burrowers. So, in the hot hot hottest part of the day, when temps really ARE 100*F+, are they sitting out in the desert sun? I highly doubt it. They are in their burrows, which probably never top 80*F, conserving moisture.

Just something to think about when setting up your enclosure. A hot spot of 90*F is probably plenty adequate.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
That's what I have observed with mine, too. ;)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I find this interesting. I know there are some huge differences between indoor and outdoor tortoise keeping. I have only had indoor experience. My 2 year old Russian only basks in his warmest basking spot in the enclosure, which I aim to keep 95 but it creeps even higher many times. He hides in the spot in the mid 80s for most of his day. He ignores the parts of his enclosure that are any cooler (they have the same hide options--a plant or hay pile plus a log or bucket type hide) most of the time. If his basking spot gets below 95, it is easy for me to notice without breaking out the thermometer because I see him bask and bask and bask--like he just isn't getting enough. I know hatchlings tend to like it warmer though. I'm curious how Trevor's temperature preferences will change as he ages. Thanks for sharing!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You touched on something I wondered and that is, if it's an age thing and when does that kick in. Or is there really a difference between inside and outside?

I don't keep my two youngsters outside in the same kind of enclosure as the adults, so I can't fairly judge if that is why the differences. I also don't keep mine under heatlamps inside, so I can't really accurately make comments on that either.

It was very interesting to read your observations on Trevor! :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
It makes complete sense to me that a youngster would prefer warmer temps. They don't typically dig down deep, like an adult would, but rather bury themselves close to the surface, or in the base of plants, etc. So a predisposition for warmer temperatures really isn't that odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.