Am I being paranoid?

Unkapunka

Location (City and/or State)
Osage City
Please listen to the folks on this forum. They know the right things. They don't tell you to change things unless it is wrong for you tort. Good Luck

Reactions: Ink

Sa Ga

MN
I'm also betting it's your lighting.
Did you have a coiled or spiral, compact florescent bulb or a Mercury Vapor bulb?
Permanent blindness can result. So let's get this fixed ASAP.

So I have a strip light and a MVB. Should I get rid of the MVB and just replace it with a simple basking light for warmth and light during the day?

Morla eats, moves, and even sits under the MVB at times. But her eyelids are a little puffy too. Could this be why?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
So I have a strip light and a MVB. Should I get rid of the MVB and just replace it with a simple basking light for warmth and light during the day?

Morla eats, moves, and even sits under the MVB at times. But her eyelids are a little puffy too. Could this be why?
It COULD be why.
If you have enough heat with a simple basking bulb or a CHE, I wouldn't even consider the MVB.

Sa Ga

MN
It COULD be why.
If you have enough heat with a simple basking bulb or a CHE, I wouldn't even consider the MVB.

Thank you, @ZEROPILOT ! I took out the MVB last night and started with a basking bulb. Seriously, her eyelids already look better. They're not all dried out and peely looking.

I would never have imagined that could be so harmful. It so sad how many incorrect products are out there (and MVB is EXPENSIVE too!).

I'm hoping continued non-exposure will get her lids to look supple and normal--and I'm sure they feel better for her!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank you, @ZEROPILOT ! I took out the MVB last night and started with a basking bulb. Seriously, her eyelids already look better. They're not all dried out and peely looking.

I would never have imagined that could be so harmful. It so sad how many incorrect products are out there (and MVB is EXPENSIVE too!).

I'm hoping continued non-exposure will get her lids to look supple and normal--and I'm sure they feel better for her!
Spending good money on the wrong stuff....That is usually also not refundable ...hurts.
We've all done it.
I myself have 3 hardly used MVB bulbs I bought for some Chameleons.
I'm not sure why I haven't thrown them away yet. Probably because they cost me about $125.

Sa Ga

MN
Spending good money on the wrong stuff....That is usually also not refundable ...hurts.
We've all done it.
I myself have 3 hardly used MVB bulbs I bought for some Chameleons.
I'm not sure why I haven't thrown them away yet. Probably because they cost me about $125.

Exactly! I pulled it out and couldn't bring myself to toss it. But I'm not going to use it, and probably no one should.

So, I'll have to figure out how to use it in some creative sculpture or art project... ?

Sa Ga

MN
Id agree with info thats been provided. Regardless of aspen vs pine vs rabbit pellets, you really should swap out your substrate with cypress mulch, coco coir or fine grade orchid bark. Give the mulch a good soaking before you add it in, then keep it moist. Lastly regarding the eyes, your enclosure looks way way too bright with not many dark hides.

I would make the enclosure larger, change the substrate, add more dark hides, add more plants, upgrade your temp/humidity gauges. (Make sure no coiled lights). Those eyes just look like “sun blindness” type symptoms.

Good luck.

Yes, @Maro2Bear , excellent siggestions--one esp _I_ need to heed! (She needs darker areas--too bright everywhere. )

@Esc, aspen may not be aromatic, but it is dusty, and its particles can be small and sharp/gritty.

Have you changed substrate yet? Has it helped?

Sa Ga

MN

Her yesterday bf I removed the MVB
20200206_201131.jpg

See how puffy they look?

Here she is tonight
20200208_012318.jpg

The bottom lid is already flat, and her upper lid doesn't look all scaly. Thank you so much! I'm hoping her skin will supple-up too, now that I'm not frying it!

Esc

San Antonio, Texas
Yes, @Maro2Bear , excellent siggestions--one esp _I_ need to heed! (She needs darker areas--too bright everywhere. )

@Esc, aspen may not be aromatic, but it is dusty, and its particles can be small and sharp/gritty.

Have you changed substrate yet? Has it helped?

my Russian is in 100% cypress now. He has a new shade corner in addition to the original curved wooden thing. He seems to really like the shade corner.

we’ve seen him with his eyes open and he’s eaten softened tortoise chow.

so definitely some improvement. He’s young, probably 7-8 months old.

how often should he be eating?

he’s getting soaked 3-4 times a week.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
A daily heap of food and just clean up the next morning. They may or may not eat, but should have available. Although missing one day once in a while will not hurt

Sa Ga

MN
my Russian is in 100% cypress now. He has a new shade corner in addition to the original curved wooden thing. He seems to really like the shade corner.

we’ve seen him with his eyes open and he’s eaten softened tortoise chow.

so definitely some improvement. He’s young, probably 7-8 months old.

how often should he be eating?

he’s getting soaked 3-4 times a week.
Soooooooo happy! Keep up the great work!!! ?

Esc

San Antonio, Texas
Update from Paranoid:

our Russian seems to have fully recovered thanks to all of you Forum members!

He’s living in 100% cypress mulch that I mist heavily every morning.

He has a second, larger shaded privacy area and I’ve changed the angle of the light so it’s not so severe. All great suggestions from y’all!

Can’t thank y’all enough! A group save for our man Yuri-the Russian Tortoise.

Two photos attached. This morning he was up, bright-eyed and munching out.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• 6A8B18FD-1400-4AEC-A27D-B5D387FDAFC5.png
    6A8B18FD-1400-4AEC-A27D-B5D387FDAFC5.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 470A9934-080F-4F40-98BB-6C03F8AA3308.png
    470A9934-080F-4F40-98BB-6C03F8AA3308.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 10

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
So good to hear the update. Please don’t hesitate to ever ask a question or post a cute photo.

Reactions: Esc