Almost yearlings!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
So how do they look?
Non nom nom...
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461048907.108027.jpg filthy and dry enjoying their cooked shrimp (this is their calcium supplement disguise) they love it

?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461047770.279045.jpg Shellie and Tucker, my Grandtortoises

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461047837.858376.jpg here's vagabond-Tucker, sweet and petite

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461047888.656032.jpg and here's Shellie, growing like a weed, eating machine

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461047966.610771.jpg Tucker's belly and skinny legs

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461047995.824799.jpg and Shellie-bellie

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461048032.281676.jpg here the obvious difference in size. They are this same age according to the breeder. Tucker was the one that gave me so much trouble at the beginning, not wanting to eat, then escaping and being gone for 4 weeks (bad boy, bad boy!!! Grandma was soooo worried!!!)

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461048223.175011.jpg sweet pretty boy (or... girl?)

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461048716.469232.jpg courageous, very inquisitive girl (???) with huge personality.
We don't coconut oil them very often but may need to step it up a bit. It really helps those dry head scales

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461048483.033428.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461048483.033428.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 14
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461048859.802479.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461048859.802479.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 13

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Dry head scales are just the skin shedding. It's normal.

Snakes do it all in one go. You do it in very tiny dust unless there's a problem. A tortoise does something in between and looks downright tatty on occasion. The shedding skin just rubs off as he barges round.

A tort's skin doesn't need oiling or moisturising.

Pearly

5 Year Member

Snakes do it all in one go. You do it in very tiny dust unless there's a problem. A tortoise does something in between and looks downright tatty on occasion. The shedding skin just rubs off as he barges round.

I know they don't get the oil massages in nature but it makes me and my daughter feel good when we give them little spa treatment from time to time

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I could use a spa treatment, speaking of which! ;) I wish my mom would admit that her grandkid is a grandtortoise. You're not getting human babies from me! :D

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They really are two beautiful tortoises.
Are they both cherries or just Tucker?
Don't forget that most cherries grow slower and end up smaller than your regular RF.

Pearly

5 Year Member
I could use a spa treatment, speaking of which! ;) I wish my mom would admit that her grandkid is a grandtortoise. You're not getting human babies from me! :D
Haha! You are so funny! I used to say that to my Mom too! but in my late 30's decided to beat the "running clock" and had my daughter at 37.5 yrs old and then my twin boys 2 wks after my 41st birthday so never say NEVER

Pearly

5 Year Member
They really are two beautiful tortoises.
Are they both cherries or just Tucker?
Don't forget that most cherries grow slower and end up smaller than your regular RF.
Tucker is the Cherryhead, Shellie is RF. Funny bcs she was a very pretty baby and little Tuck-tac, not so much and now, look at him! And Shellie is just a chubby little funny bulldozer! I love them both. And that slower growth definitely checks out in Tucker's case. Shellie is so heavy (over 14 oz!) and he's just little over 8oz. She's also a whole inch longer than he. His little legs are so skinny though! I always worry that he may not be eating enough. Shellka is my eating machine. She eats everything and all the time. Tuck-tac has few things that he really likes and others he just turns his nose up to... Little stinker:)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Haha! You are so funny! I used to say that to my Mom too! but in my late 30's decided to beat the "running clock" and had my daughter at 37.5 yrs old and then my twin boys 2 wks after my 41st birthday so never say NEVER
Wow! :eek: Actually "no kids" was a deal-breaker with my fiance when we started dating. Neither of us ever want kids. Sometimes I would tell him, "If you want kids, you can have the uterus!" :p

Pearly

5 Year Member
Wow! :eek: Actually "no kids" was a deal-breaker with my fiance when we started dating. Neither of us ever want kids. Sometimes I would tell him, "If you want kids, you can have the uterus!" :p
You are both lucky to have agreed on such important issue plus is sounds like your fiancé is supportive of your "animal connection". That's huge!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
So how do they look?
Non nom nom...
View attachment 170828 filthy and dry enjoying their cooked shrimp (this is their calcium supplement disguise) they love it

?View attachment 170816 Shellie and Tucker, my Grandtortoises

View attachment 170817 here's vagabond-Tucker, sweet and petite

View attachment 170818 and here's Shellie, growing like a weed, eating machine

View attachment 170819 Tucker's belly and skinny legs

View attachment 170820 and Shellie-bellie

View attachment 170821 here the obvious difference in size. They are this same age according to the breeder. Tucker was the one that gave me so much trouble at the beginning, not wanting to eat, then escaping and being gone for 4 weeks (bad boy, bad boy!!! Grandma was soooo worried!!!)

View attachment 170822 sweet pretty boy (or... girl?)

View attachment 170826 courageous, very inquisitive girl (???) with huge personality.
We don't coconut oil them very often but may need to step it up a bit. It really helps those dry head scales
Only just seen this pearls. They look fantastic. Should be proud. ;).

Kasia

Poland

Beautiful torts you have there Grandma ;)

Pearly

5 Year Member
My wifes mother was from Poland
My wife speaks some Polish. Mainly to me. I'm not exactly sure what it means, but I'll bet it's not very nice.
Yeap! She probably curses you out like a drunken sailor to blow the steam off when you do something that's disagreeable to her. That's what I do with my Old Man

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Yeap! She probably curses you out like a drunken sailor to blow the steam off when you do something that's disagreeable to her. That's what I do with my Old Man
Ha! I love it! Sometimes I do that too.