All Tank All The Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

TotallyTank

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, NM
Hi I am Cammy a hopeless slave to the happiness of Tank the star of this little show lol. Okay so here is a little history. I have 4 awesome dogs, 4 great ferrets, 2 red ear sliders, 1 sulcata tirtoise and multiple chiclid fish, and 3 kids and a husband. So thats my household, i will just start at the beginning. I found this awesome boy living in moriarty new mexico, I had to have him, although I really did not know much about them, I knew you had to have lots of room outdoors and that I have the rest I would figure out as I went. I picked him up late and drove him home, since I had no space ready for him yet, he moved into the bedroom. The internet became my new best friend, i submerged myself into hours of research about my tiny dino. I fond out rather quickly that a trip to the hardwood store was first on my list. I spent the next 2 days cleaning the area in the yard that would be his, which is roughly 350sqtf area that is fenced off with a gate. I leave the gate open so he really has the whole yard about 600sqft. I made tank a house out of plywood and insulation and 6 mil plastic. it has a hardwood floor like in my house i had left over flooring!!! I made him a window with clear corregated plastic as well as sun roofs, he has a large heating pad area a basking light if he needs it, but he is only outside on really sunny days from about 10-4 then he scrtches on the backdoor to come in. His indoor area i about 3x5 house, he has tun of the whole room though. about 150sqft. He has a basking lamp, a little gas heater all the bermuda grass he can handle, and of course nice leafy greens and a squash or 2 once day. i am providing calcium supplement on salads. I have soaked him 3 times in 2 weeks in my bathtub nice luke warm. He has an area outside where water is available all times and changed daily. Since he can not burrow we have had to make him one of sorts, so my wicker laundry basket which just happened to be tortoise shaped with s little hay in the bottom has worked great. I would love any advice, info opinions about what i am doing wrong or could be doing better. also i do not know much about there temperment/behanior in the winter vs summer are the social dog like or cat like. like i saud any info would be awesome.
IMG_1846.JPGIMG_1851.JPGIMG_1845.JPGIMG_1863.JPGIMG_1865.JPGIMG_1864.JPGIMG_1861.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Brittany6

5 Year Member
I love that you really had a sulcata in your closet! That's hilarious!!! Your a true tort lover hahahahahah!!! Awesome!

TotallyTank

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, NM
The area that his new enclosure had fake grass for a long time since there was a playyard there, I have it all dug up and if the ground would defrost for more than 20 min lol, I would dig up the dirt. I am planning on planting bermuda grass and dandelion weeds as soon as it is time.. I am doing all the work by myself so that i can be that more satisfied in the end, but time and weather are against me right now!!! I will post pictures of his outdoor area soon
Jacob said:
Awesome Story, You Done A Great Job So far!
Since you have A Nice Outdoor Pen, It Would Be Smart Planting Some Grasses and Stuff He Can Eat and Graze On
All Day Other Then BUYING StoreBought Greens Etc.

heres a site
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?catID=257

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Great, we Would All love to see the pics when every things finished and your sulcata is comfortable :p

TotallyTank

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, NM
Zamric said:
Welcome to the Forum!

How old is you Sulcata and how long have you had him?

I am not sure about his age, I forgot to ask the guy, I sent him a text asking but have not heard back, he weighs in at 53lbs.. I have only had him for about 2 weeks. He has been to the vet and all is well!

Status
Not open for further replies.