All Advice welcome

emma lou

Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn
Hi, Im New to the group and new to having a Tortoise.
We got our baby tortoise 4 weeks ago tbh the pet shop we got him from we come to learn they was just intrested in the money and sold us all sorts of stuff
we have looked up about care etc and just getting loads of mixed messages.
we was told to use a basking lamp,UV light and a heat mat.
we was told to place the heat mat in hes bed room so we have the heat mat at one end of the tortoise table and the basking lamp at the other end of the table.
is that correct?
I have a few questions if thats ok?
How high up should the basking lamp be?
is it correct to leave both the basking lamp and UV light on for 12 hours a day and the heat mat stays on all the time?
what is best to use as a humid hide?
how do i make sure that the temp and humidity is correct?
How deep should hes substrate be?
I just want to make sure im giving our tortoise the best care
He seems happy and very alert

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Hi, Im New to the group and new to having a Tortoise.
We got our baby tortoise 4 weeks ago tbh the pet shop we got him from we come to learn they was just intrested in the money and sold us all sorts of stuff
we have looked up about care etc and just getting loads of mixed messages.
we was told to use a basking lamp,UV light and a heat mat.
we was told to place the heat mat in hes bed room so we have the heat mat at one end of the tortoise table and the basking lamp at the other end of the table.
is that correct?
I have a few questions if thats ok?
How high up should the basking lamp be?
is it correct to leave both the basking lamp and UV light on for 12 hours a day and the heat mat stays on all the time?
what is best to use as a humid hide?
how do i make sure that the temp and humidity is correct?
How deep should hes substrate be?
I just want to make sure im giving our tortoise the best care
He seems happy and very alert
They gave you all wrong info unfortunately. All of that will basically have to be switched out i bet...What species did you get? That will determine what care we suggest for you. Also, pics are extremely helpful so we can point out things to change asap!

But also, congratulations on your new baby! We will help you out as soon as we get the pertinents ?

emma lou

Blackburn
They gave you all wrong info unfortunately. All of that will basically have to be switched out i bet...What species did you get? That will determine what care we suggest for you. Also, pics are extremely helpful so we can point out things to change asap!

But also, congratulations on your new baby! We will help you out as soon as we get the pertinents ?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Thank you! Hes a Horsefield
Ah! Ok ? great tortoises!

Here is our care guide for these babies. This was written by a member who has tons of experience with these guys and has also done side by side care comparisons. It should answer almost all your questions, but feel free to ask away once you've read it if you need more info. This will give you the healthiest baby you can have ?