all about these tortoises...

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxDarkEuphoriaxX

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Hi, I live in southern indiana and it seems like these tortoises will do well in the spring/summer/fall months outdoors...
I looked at the other tortoise species but for some reason none of them really "got" me like this species has...
We can have moderate to high humidity in southern indiana, in the 60 to 70% or higher range. I have lots of room so I dont think that will be a issue outdoors.... and plan on getting a captive bred individual for sure...

where can I find good info and lots of it on the web about these tortoises? I cant seem to find much/any.

Where are/is a good source for captive bred individuals?

Thanks, :cool:

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Kingsnake. But I am not sure that they would be a good beginner species....

M

Maggie Cummings

We've several Manouria keepers on the forum, my sister being one of them and you all know the problems I had with Emmie when I tried to foster her for Yvonne. I don't think they are a good tortoise for a beginner...JMHO...

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
They can be tough tortoises. Just google Mt. tortoise, Mountain tortoise, Brown mountain tortoise, etc... Its harder to find info on them, but mixing up the names like that tends to work. If you have an questions after researching just let us know we can help out

Kyle

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I have both blacks and browns. I have found them not that difficult to keep if you have a humid warm (not hot) enviornment for them. They do best in 60's to 80's F heavy shaded area as they are native to montane evergreen rainforests. At temps higher than this they hide in pools and heavy foliage. They eat mainly fruits and greens including colacasia and alacasia plants. Unfortunally good info is difficult to find on them (the best source I found was a paper from Denmark that is no longer available online in English).

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
I have a friend in Florida who breeds them. We got one last year for a friend of ours and it is doing great. PM me and I can get you his name and email. He has top notch animals at very resonable prices. He may also have some information about keeping them.

XxDarkEuphoriaxX

5 Year Member
Indiana
Well I have looked at the greeks, hermanns, russians, none of them really interest me. red foots and yellow foots too temperamental.....
also looked at leopards, cant do i have too high humidity,others cant do also due to high humidity in southern indiana...its mostly in the 80's in the summer rarely in the 90's rains alot... some summers dry some rly wet like the most recent one... it has never been so wet during the summer.
cant do sulcattas get too big...
for some reason these are the only ones that interest me... I may not be able to get one for a few years... dont have much room in my room and cash currently but it may happen in the near future... currently have a marine aquarium and am trying to get a 1972 motorcycle running and am starting out in college, have 2 part time jobs.. dont have that much money.

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I had russians , sulcatas, leopards, and currently have a brown mountain tortoise and i live in joliet, IL. I have to say this is the easiest one next to the russian. The hardest part i would have to say is keeping the humidity up but thats all on you and how you do it. But for someone in your part of the area they are very cold tolerant and i would reccomend that species for you

Status
Not open for further replies.