Aldabra trouble

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
A week or so ago SO, the larger of my two Aldabran tortoises, tried to climb a short fence into the box turtle area. When his heavy weight was placed onto the top, horizontal board (the board placed to inhibit climbing), the board broke and he fell backwards, landing on his side up against the front fence. He was what we call cast up against the fence. He tried to flip over, digging his one front leg and one back leg into the dirt, however, he was cast up against the fence and wasn't able to turn back over. By the time I found him he had been struggling for a while.

It was fairly easy for me to gently pull him towards me and set him right side up. But when he tried to walk, his right front leg doesn't support his weight.

He has spent this whole past week inside his shed. Every time he tries to come out, he realizes his front leg hurts to put weight on it, so he goes back inside.

The larger species of tortoise need to move. If they stay stationary for any length of time, their inner plumbing shuts down. I was hesitant to encourage him to move because I didn't know if there was a broken bone or just exactly what was going on.

Because SO is such a big animal, I am not able to toss him into the back of the truck and take him to a vet to be x-ray'd. I called my vet, Dr. Lynch, who used to be the vet at our zoo, and who makes house calls, and together we decided to try to get a horse vet to come out to the house. Horse vets have portable x-ray equipment. The horse vet was all booked up for about a week and a half, but he was trying to fit me in. He was able to find time to come this a.m.

The vet came out today and took several x-rays. It doesn't look like the joint is out of the socket, and there are no broken bones. So she's prescribed pain killers and we're trying to think of something temporary to support that side of his weight so he doesn't keep re-straining or re-injuring whatever is going on. We need something smooth that will slide easily over the bumpy grassy yard, and yet strong enough to support 250 or 300lbs of tortoise. A half of a billiard ball isn't big enough.

Later today I'm going to go to Lowe's and just walk up and down the aisles to see if inspiration strikes me.

(Sorry I didn't get any pictures. I thought about it last night, but then forgot all about it when the vet got here.)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
So glad nothing serious for SO.

My next question will be how you going to attach something under him? I hope the horse vet can help you.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Hmmmmmm. Glad it's not broken. Look in the hardware section at the different wheels and casters. You should also be able to find some in the outside garden area next to wheel barrows.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Maybe a flat furniture dolly with the wheels changed out to larger ones that work in the yard.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
A week or so ago SO, the larger of my two Aldabran tortoises, tried to climb a short fence into the box turtle area. When his heavy weight was placed onto the top, horizontal board (the board placed to inhibit climbing), the board broke and he fell backwards, landing on his side up against the front fence. He was what we call cast up against the fence. He tried to flip over, digging his one front leg and one back leg into the dirt, however, he was cast up against the fence and wasn't able to turn back over. By the time I found him he had been struggling for a while.

It was fairly easy for me to gently pull him towards me and set him right side up. But when he tried to walk, his right front leg doesn't support his weight.

He has spent this whole past week inside his shed. Every time he tries to come out, he realizes his front leg hurts to put weight on it, so he goes back inside.

The larger species of tortoise need to move. If they stay stationary for any length of time, their inner plumbing shuts down. I was hesitant to encourage him to move because I didn't know if there was a broken bone or just exactly what was going on.

Because SO is such a big animal, I am not able to toss him into the back of the truck and take him to a vet to be x-ray'd. I called my vet, Dr. Lynch, who used to be the vet at our zoo, and who makes house calls, and together we decided to try to get a horse vet to come out to the house. Horse vets have portable x-ray equipment. The horse vet was all booked up for about a week and a half, but he was trying to fit me in. He was able to find time to come this a.m.

The vet came out today and took several x-rays. It doesn't look like the joint is out of the socket, and there are no broken bones. So she's prescribed pain killers and we're trying to think of something temporary to support that side of his weight so he doesn't keep re-straining or re-injuring whatever is going on. We need something smooth that will slide easily over the bumpy grassy yard, and yet strong enough to support 250 or 300lbs of tortoise. A half of a billiard ball isn't big enough.

Later today I'm going to go to Lowe's and just walk up and down the aisles to see if inspiration strikes me.

(Sorry I didn't get any pictures. I thought about it last night, but then forgot all about it when the vet got here.)

Do you have or know anyone with an old skateboard anywhere, Cut it in half near the front wheels. Then use 2 belts to strap it around her on either side of the wheels over the wooden board part. Just a thought. Hope she gets well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you have or know anyone with an old skateboard anywhere, Cut it in half near the front wheels. Then use 2 belts to strap it around her on either side of the wheels over the wooden board part. Just a thought. Hope she gets well.

This is a good suggestion. I'm not sure the skateboard wheels are big enough to go over the rough terrain, but it's something to try. Thanks.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Perhaps some water therapy will help. If some one can help you get the tort into a warm shallow pool, the lift provided by the water should allow your tort some exercise without having to bear it's full weight.

Probably easier said then done.

Good luck.

Foursteels

5 Year Member
South Florida
I saw this article online. A vet fastened a wheel using epoxy to a tortoise missing a leg. Maybe something like this would work using a bigger wheel. I assume the vet could remove the epoxy glue once your tort is better.

Attachments

• IMG_5750.JPG
    IMG_5750.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 21

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So happy that it isn't anything real serious. Hopefully you can come up with something to help him till he heals. The skate board might be your best bet. You may be able to put larger wheels on one? Good luck, keep,us posted.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Is suggest taping and or leather strapping a stainless steel dog bowl upside down. Smooth enough to glide across dirt/grass and about half the size of a boing ball. As I'd imagine his plastron comes what 6-8" above the ground. However it may be tough getting it strapped to him. Might have to rivet or secure some leather belts on each side of the bowl like one belt secured towards his head and the other towards the tail but going all the way around him. Not sure if they make belts that big. But perhaps horse and rider or tractor supply has something.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
It's only redneck if she uses duct tape and bailing wire to hold it on.

Tort Love

image.jpg I looked up disabled tortoises and this is what I found hope it helps out