Aldabra? In Washington??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Came across an interesting one on Craigslist today. Located in Olympia, Washington.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/pet/3185976063.html
"aldabra tortoise, we are interested in supplying. This guy is roughly 16" (plus or minus) and in the 30+ pound range. He's taken on a more elongated aldabra shape indicative of being male and has a slight depression on 4th or 5th (he's not in front of my right now) vertebral where the scute actually popped off. Shell underneath is black so the area missing the scute blends in well. Absolutely no shell rot or anything like that - physics caused the scute to pop off as the other scutes were growing into it. This tortoise is healthy as an ox and will eat you out of house and home. Photos to serious inquiries. Asking $ 600 which is a deal for an aldabra this size or I will consider trades for other high end tortoises. "

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Physics made the scute pop off?!?! I would have to say, more likely poor husbandry. Odd ad.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
It isn't odd, but the typical scammer add.......Go look at the Aldabra pictures in Google Images.........

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Yeah, I figured the pics were pulled off Google... Think it's a scam, then? That would probably make more sense than an Aldabra in Washington whose scute "popped off." :p

feline8

5 Year Member
MD
Sure... a 30+ pound & 16" tortoise can fit right in one hand (first pic)
Scammers these days

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I thought the same thing, SCAM. They always seem to say "high end" with either what they want or what they are selling.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The wording is also a clue..." we are interesting in supplying..." Not selling, but supplying. I sort of even doubt they're in Washington.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
emysemys said:
The wording is also a clue..." we are interesting in supplying..." Not selling, but supplying. I sort of even doubt they're in Washington.

Good eye! I hardly even noticed the strange wording there.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
chase thorn said:

The picture part didn't strike me as all that odd because people on Craigslist frequently seem to pull up whatever picture is on the internet, rather than going to the trouble of taking pictures of their own to post.

The odd part of the photo thing, to me, is that he uses pics from Google and then states in the ad that he DOES have pictures--"Photos to serious inquiries"--which begs the question of why he didn't just put those up. Thinking about it now (before, I shrugged it off and ignored it), that DOES pretty strongly suggest "scam," doesn't it?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
He could just be a giant. Scam, I can think of several ways to make this scam work.

Status
Not open for further replies.