Air flow in closed vivarium?

Samvega

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Hey everyone,

I've been working to get the conditions in my enclosure to be as best as possible. I was having a problem with humidity before, now I have it up between 80-90 throughout the day. Temps range from 84-78 F.

My question is how important is air flow in a closed cage? It's got an unpleasant stale smell now that it's more humid. I also plan to put a lot of tropical plants in there soon, will that help with the smell?

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
I'm going to be setting up a closed chamber, so this is an interesting question. Looking forward to the responses. Did you build your Hab yourself? Do you have plans for it? I'm looking for plans to compare and build for my two hatchlings.

Samvega

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I'm going to be setting up a closed chamber, so this is an interesting question. Looking forward to the responses. Did you build your Hab yourself? Do you have plans for it? I'm looking for plans to compare and build for my two hatchlings.

Here is my current setup, which will last for another year until I get her outdoor greenhouse set up. I think it may be a little small but I'm not sure.

To create my enclosure I used two of these:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...-large-all-purpose-mixing-tub-26-gal-35-cu-ft

One on top of the other, to create a dome. I have it sitting on an old entertainment center:
DSC_0037.JPG

I have the chain that holds the dual dome lights attached to a plant hanger that is secured to the wall. I have the thermostat/hygometer hanging there too so it's easy to see.

DSC_0038.JPG

The two mixing tubs are held together with zip ties currently, but I'm planning to build a hinge that can support the weight of the top when I open it. Here is what it looks like currently when I open the entire enclosure:

DSC_0039.JPG

On the top mixing tub, I cut a large rectangle with a jigsaw for a window and used a hole saw to cut a two inch diameter hole for the chain and light cords. Currently, the lid to the top window is covered in an acrylic sheet. I really hate working with that stuff though, and it looks tacky, so I'm planning on making a new window from a sheet of PETG.

Here is a view from the top window showing her hide and her watering hole:

DSC_0042.JPG

A side view:

DSC_0047.JPG

And here is Luna in front of her hide:

DSC_0045.JPG

I'm only half way done with this enclosure. In order to make more room for exercise, I plan to sandwich an epoxy coated piece of wood board in between the bottom and top tub. It will only be half the size of the entire enclosure, but will give her a nice size loft. Because this will cause a gap in half of the enclosure at the middle where the board sits, I'm trying to decide what type of material I can glue directly to the tub in order to cushion the top portion and keep it tight and snug. (Not totally sure if that makes sense, I'm not sure how to describe what I mean).

I'm also buying one of these decorative rock filters to go on the bottom level in a pool area:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ICNM96/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I'm planning on using hydroponic clay balls for the water reservoir, then mesh divider on top of that to keep the reservoir from getting dirty from substrate, and then her usual substrate mixture. After I have the pool set up and running, I am planting some moss and tropical plants to cover the enclosure. I'm also planning on getting some gigantic isopods.

Sorry, I know you didn't ask for all that information, I'm just excited I guess!

What enclosure plans are you working on?

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
Wow - Just wow. That's involved. Thank you for sharing all those details and photos. I get your excitement. I just decided I need a closed chamber, the other day. I would love to be able to buy a ready made one but sadly that isn't an option. I'm going to have to hire a carpenter - but doubtful i'll find one that knows anything about tortoises. I'm looking for plans on closed chambers. I already have one set, looking for more to compare and take from them, what would work for me.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
@Samvega brilliant setup, I do a similar thing with MacCourt mixing tubs. I use seed starter heat mats with a simple on/off thermostat, and regular plastic sheeting for the window/door. For growing at neonates this works so well.

As for air exchange, I agree plants help, but daily inspection water change and feeding seem to allow enough air exchange. I have also used large Rubbermaid Totes http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/chambers-my-take-of-the-idea.77044/

Samvega

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Wow - Just wow. That's involved. Thank you for sharing all those details and photos. I get your excitement. I just decided I need a closed chamber, the other day. I would love to be able to buy a ready made one but sadly that isn't an option. I'm going to have to hire a carpenter - but doubtful i'll find one that knows anything about tortoises. I'm looking for plans on closed chambers. I already have one set, looking for more to compare and take from them, what would work for me.

No problem! I put off making a closed chamber for way too long. Humidity is definitely the most difficult part in raising my her, IMO. I would love to be able to keep an open top because she seems so social and is always wanting attention (or food probably). Now, with the closed top, I can't peek my head inside every time I walk by to say hello. :(

Good luck on planning your new enclosure, I look forward to seeing it when finished. :)

Samvega

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
@Samvega brilliant setup, I do a similar thing with MacCourt mixing tubs. I use seed starter heat mats with a simple on/off thermostat, and regular plastic sheeting for the window/door. For growing at neonates this works so well.

As for air exchange, I agree plants help, but daily inspection water change and feeding seem to allow enough air exchange. I have also used large Rubbermaid Totes http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/chambers-my-take-of-the-idea.77044/

Thanks so much! I guess I was mostly worried about mold growing, but then I remembered that coconut coir is mold resistant. I'm sure I will find some other small thing to nitpick over and come running back to tortoiseforum to ask more silly questions! ;)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico