Ahhhhh! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonaSydly

5 Year Member
Okay, so originally I was set on a hatchling, but then heard the sad stories about the unlucky ones, so I changed my mindset to an older tortoise. But now I have asked a breeder what she has available, and she has just had two hatchlings, about a week old....I was just curious to see if you guys thought I would be able to handle it...Can you guys give me any tips to use in case I do get a baby? What are some things that hatchlings need, that older torts don't?

Also, the hatchlings are Russians, I don't know if that makes a difference, but I've heard they are a hardier species. I don't know whether that applies to hatchlings or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Please don't attack me for my lack of information, I am here to fix that very problem :) Any info is appreciated!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Find out how the breeder raised them, if they were kept humid, you should give it a go.

M

Maggie Cummings

Rather then attack you for not knowing, I will congratulate you for researching and asking questions.
Russians are great tortoises, but hatchlings are pretty fragile. If you pay attention and get the correct equipment and take care of them the way they need you'll do alright...

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I think you have already got a good foundation by belonging to the forum.

I don't remember what it was like to not have any experience with tortoises, but I think the only advice I could give is to be ready for a daily commitment. Some people might think they are "just" tortoises, but they do need daily care in order to thrive. I would think it would be difficult at first, but once you get accustomed to your daily schedule it will become easier and more automatic.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You will not be attacked here. We are thrilled that you want to learn more and do it right.

Do a search and send a PM to GBTortoises. He's a good guy and he's been raising baby Russians for three decades or more. I think I know what he would say, but I'd rather he gave you the specifics.

In my opinion hatchlings are no harder than older ones, IF you set them up right, AND they were started properly. If they were started on rabbit pellets and soaked once a week, I'd pass on them. It really depends on the breeder. I have talked to several breeders here on the forum that I would be thrilled to get a baby from.

In my signature is a thread entitled "Beginner Mistakes". There is some info in there you might find useful.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I don't know. A week old is very young. I think a couple months old would be a better fit, if you're going to get a hatchling. A week old russian is very small.

MonaSydly

5 Year Member
Tom said:
You will not be attacked here. We are thrilled that you want to learn more and do it right.

Do a search and send a PM to GBTortoises. He's a good guy and he's been raising baby Russians for three decades or more. I think I know what he would say, but I'd rather he gave you the specifics.

In my opinion hatchlings are no harder than older ones, IF you set them up right, AND they were started properly. If they were started on rabbit pellets and soaked once a week, I'd pass on them. It really depends on the breeder. I have talked to several breeders here on the forum that I would be thrilled to get a baby from.

In my signature is a thread entitled "Beginner Mistakes". There is some info in there you might find useful.

Thank you so much for your input! The breeder I have asked was recommended to me through the forum, so I trust her fully, and I will definitely send GBTortoises a message!
Again, thanks!

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
At only a week old has the breeder really had a chance to ruin them? I dunno.

I would go for it. Mine got here at almost 4 weeks and it's doing great.

MonaSydly

5 Year Member
Tortus said:
At only a week old has the breeder really had a chance to ruin them? I dunno.

I would go for it. Mine got here at almost 4 weeks and it's doing great.

So glad yours is doing well! Thanks for your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.