AHHH! It's hard to decide!

Vet now or later? Or vet now then wait and buy sulcata until it can go to the vet the next day?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
I think I remember your thread saying that you initially thought that your enclosure became too cold. Even if that was not the problem it could cause a problem for your new little one. Is that all straightened now?

I alway's take any new pets immediately to the vet for a well check up, then I take them annually after that. I feel more comfortable knowing that someone else is keeping track of growth, diet etc.. Plus, with the Exotic vets continuing education they are alway's learning something that could benefit my tort.

vampire5003

5 Year Member
CtTortoiseMom said:
I think I remember your thread saying that you initially thought that your enclosure became too cold. Even if that was not the problem it could cause a problem for your new little one. Is that all straightened now?

I alway's take any new pets immediately to the vet for a well check up, then I take them annually after that. I feel more comfortable knowing that someone else is keeping track of growth, diet etc.. Plus, with the Exotic vets continuing education they are alway's learning something that could benefit my tort.

Yes I have the house dropping no less than 70F.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I'm not voting because my choice isn't one of the options. I say give it a six-month test. Enjoy your leopard, keep him healthy, and when you've had him for 6 healthy months if you still want a sulcata then get one.
To vet or not to vet: Don't vet just to vet. Take in a stool sample if you're worried, that's only $17.50 here. Set aside your vet money so you have it when you need it. To take a new baby tort to the vet as soon as you get it might give you a false sense of security. A vet is only going to pick up on whatever the tort is exhibiting at the time.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I agree that waiting 6 months at least is a good idea. Where do you live? Just wondering about your winter weather.

I agree that waiting 6 months at least is a good idea. Where do you live? Just wondering about your winter weather.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Its of my opinion that you shouldn't have any animal until you have all the supplies needed and savings for immediate and future vet care and supplies. I would take any new tort for a check up and fecal test. There are quite a few things an experienced tort vet can spot that a tort owner may not. Another set of eyes always helps. It provides a lot of peace of mind and also sets up your relationship with the vet for any future emergency visits (they will by much more likely to help fit you in the schedule if your tort is an established patient). My vet has spotted some stuff I missed and we have a great relationship. A good vet will ask about your set-up, diet, the tort's behavior, etc, do a visual exam, and maybe listen to the heartbeat or take an internal temperature. I don't think in any way its a waste of money. I think its most important to take a tort to a vet when the person is a new owner with a hatchling--its the scenario most likely to have problems. I sure did quite a few things wrong in the beginning, and I'm still no where close to perfect. I just do my best. In the least, you get set up there for emergency care and to drop off fecal samples to be tested (and get meds if needed). Compared to human medical care, vets are very cheap. I would never take a vet's word 100% though...ie. I won't stop trying to learn just because a vet said my tort is healthy and I was caring for it well.

There are many types of parasites besides worms. Dewormer only treats worms. Additionally, I don't believe in preventative dewormer unless you have a large brood, and even then, I'd rather take a few representative fecal samples to be tested, then treat them all if needed. The meds hurt their tummy and they can become immune to some types of meds. Parasites have to get pretty bad before you notice symptoms or see them with the naked eye (only some types will you ever see, like worms). Therefore, I would get a fecal test done for any tort when I got them, a few months later (the first test can miss any parasites between cycles), and then yearly.

I also believe to get yearly check ups after the first, but I know I'm in the minority on this one. At a minimum, I'd get the yearly repeat fecal tests. My tort has had three cases of parasites (coccidia and two occurrences of pinworms) his first couple years that were considered moderate and he had no symptoms besides a bit of a slowdown. Even a captive bred hatchling could have parasites from his mother, shared housing, picked it up from grazing, etc...its not just wild caught torts. Most vets won't do a fecal test unless they have seen that tort before. You can learn to do it yourself, but it requires a bit of equipment like a microscope and some research time. I would rather fork over my $15-20 and save the trouble and risk that I could do it wrong. Also, I'd rather trust my vet with the dosage and then double check it online, than just buy the meds online. Its very easy to mis-dose because the meds come in different strengths that may be 100 times stronger for some animals.

I would do the vet visit as soon as you can, and then wait some time to settle in with your Leopard and save up some money. A Leopard and a Sulcata is a lot to handle long-term as far as space and money. Time never hurts in these life-changing and life-long decisions. You don't want to ever get yourself in a situation where you have to put off some necessary vet visit or purchase like a bulb or enclosure. To me, the purchase price of a tort is nothing compared to how much you will spend each year or whatever on their care. None of these things should be a quick decision or something that you take the majority rules sort of thought on. I won't even vote in the poll because I think this is your decision to make...we can only give suggestions based on your own experience and opinions. I don't mean any offense in this in the least bit. I just want the best for you and your tort.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I think she mentioned that money was not an issue, and that all she wants to know is should she take her Leopard to the vet now or wait the 4-6 weeks until she receives the Salcata then take them both at the same time. I think we are all looking way to far into this. But either way it is her choice and she should do what is best for her and the tortoise's that are in her care.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't see any reason to go to a vet if there is not a problem. If Robert and Trish are using the dry routine, and you are worried about what that might do, then don't buy one from them. There are lots of breeders here on the forum and out in the world who do it other ways than the dry routine.

I have never taken any of my tortoises to any vet, because I haven't ever had a need to. Like Edna wisely suggested, I occasionally take a stool sample in for testing, but they always come back negative.

Things sometimes go wrong with tortoises and the equipment that makes up their enclosures. Building proper enclosure inside and out for the large species you are interested in can cost thousands of dollars. I've certainly spent thousands, just in the last few years. It doesn't sound like you are in a financial position to spend that kind of money and it doesn't sound like your husband wants get involved with such expenses either. I think the idea of waiting a few months is a good one, given what you've told us about your situation. I totally understand the overwhelming urge to get more. I fight that urge every day. There are always baby sulcatas and leopards available, so you won't be missing out on anything by waiting a bit either. While you wait, you can do some research to find a breeder who does things the way YOU think they ought to be done.

You could do a post, when you are ready, in our wanted section here on the forum. You could stipulate that you are looking for "X" type of tortoise hatchling and will only accept it if it was started the "Y" way. You'll get several replies from breeders who are doing it the way you like it.

So, I vote that you buy a healthy tortoise from a good breeder and don't go to the vet at all unless there is a problem.

vampire5003

5 Year Member
UPDATE: I took my tort to the vet and feces test came out negative for parasites.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I would also wait the 6 months before getting the sulcata.. and when you do... Go thur a rescue and get one that is in need of a home. It will be older, it can be huge already.. and still outlive you! :)
prepare a seperate area, get it all ready, put the word out, watch craigs list adds. contact a rescue.. and whala! you will have a sulcata in no time!
ive also never taken mine to the vet.. but I feel capable of caring/treating for them if needed.. fingers crossed of course.. There is nothing wrong with taking them if that is what you want to do.

Robert/Trish

5 Year Member
We don't usually post much on forums, but one of the members of this forum informed us about these posts by Margaret. Just wanted to straighten out some of these comments that are not true.

Here are some of the comments she made on this thread and our replies are below her comments:

vampire5003 said:
Yah my old tort died of impaction. The breeders went clean and told me that the tortoise had eaten cypress mulch at their facility. I forgot to update it! Sorry. My husband spoke to Robert and so he is allowing me to get torts again. :).

We did not "go clean" about cypress mulch. We have never used it. We have been producing turtles and tortoises for over 20 years and never have used cypress mulch. We recommended to her that she not use cypress mulch because of the possibility of impaction. Robert never spoke to her husband.

She stated in a few other threads on this site that we went clean and sent her another tortoise. We offered her (and she purchased) another tortoise at a discounted price ($50 plus shipping) because we felt sorry for her and her loss and not because it was our fault.

[/quote]
Well not exactly, I thought it might have snagged a bite, but I don't think it did after all because I noticed before I wouldn't eat. It was probably just trying to borrow at my house. I could be wrong. Still if it ate a lot of cypress mulch at Roberts facility/home/tortoise place it isn't my fault.
[/quote]

It is impossible for a tortoise to eat cypress mulch at our facility. There is none on the property.

[/quote]
Well it WAS eating cypress mulch when IT WAS under the BREEDERS CARE. THEY COULD HAVE SAID BEFORE YOU BUY THIS TORTOISE, IT MAY HAVE EATEN ENOUGH CYPRESS MULCH TO DIE OR HAVE A EXTREMELY WEAK IMMUNE SYSTEM BUT WILL PROBABLY DIE IN A COUPLE DAYS/WEEKS.
[/quote]

This comment is simply not true.

vampire5003 said:
Everyone I am not really worried of parasites I just think I should take it. Robert/Trish are the breeders and they believe that Leopard torts need dry food and dry enclosures. They had it on newspaper bedding and were feeding Mazuri tortoise diet 5 times a week. I am worried about dehydration.

We never told her to feed the tortoise dry food or keep her enclosure dry. We feed Mazuri 2 - 3 times a week plus veggies, weeds and hibiscus when in season. We do not keep our tortoises dry. We keep hatchlings on newspaper and humidity is between 65% - 85%.

Thanks for reading. Just wanted to set the record straight on this.

John

5 Year Member
So I figure I will chime in here and say that although I have not personally purchased torts from Robert/Trish I have friends who have,and they have had zero problems.They have a very good reputation in the tort/turtle community,and I feel you should not be bashing them,From what I know of thier practices none of your comments are factual.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I purchased Nelson from Robert and Trish back in August 2009. I could not have been happier with my decision to purchase my hatchling from them! Nelson was eating within minutes of being shipped to my house and he has always been active and friendly.
Robert and Trish have always responded to my questions/emails promptly AND they put up with me sending them pictures as Nelson grew :p Although I haven't done that in a while...so here's a recent one :D

IMG_1576.jpg

As I stated in the other thread, I'm glad this was brought to your attention and you were able to clarify a few things. I would never hesitate to purchase another tortoise from you!

vampire5003

5 Year Member
Robert/Trish said:
We don't usually post much on forums, but one of the members of this forum informed us about these posts by Margaret. Just wanted to straighten out some of these comments that are not true.

Here are some of the comments she made on this thread and our replies are below her comments:

vampire5003 said:
Yah my old tort died of impaction. The breeders went clean and told me that the tortoise had eaten cypress mulch at their facility. I forgot to update it! Sorry. My husband spoke to Robert and so he is allowing me to get torts again. :).

We did not "go clean" about cypress mulch. We have never used it. We have been producing turtles and tortoises for over 20 years and never have used cypress mulch. We recommended to her that she not use cypress mulch because of the possibility of impaction. Robert never spoke to her husband.

She stated in a few other threads on this site that we went clean and sent her another tortoise. We offered her (and she purchased) another tortoise at a discounted price ($50 plus shipping) because we felt sorry for her and her loss and not because it was our fault.
Well not exactly, I thought it might have snagged a bite, but I don't think it did after all because I noticed before I wouldn't eat. It was probably just trying to borrow at my house. I could be wrong. Still if it ate a lot of cypress mulch at Roberts facility/home/tortoise place it isn't my fault.
[/quote]

It is impossible for a tortoise to eat cypress mulch at our facility. There is none on the property.

[/quote]
Well it WAS eating cypress mulch when IT WAS under the BREEDERS CARE. THEY COULD HAVE SAID BEFORE YOU BUY THIS TORTOISE, IT MAY HAVE EATEN ENOUGH CYPRESS MULCH TO DIE OR HAVE A EXTREMELY WEAK IMMUNE SYSTEM BUT WILL PROBABLY DIE IN A COUPLE DAYS/WEEKS.
[/quote]

This comment is simply not true.

vampire5003 said:
Everyone I am not really worried of parasites I just think I should take it. Robert/Trish are the breeders and they believe that Leopard torts need dry food and dry enclosures. They had it on newspaper bedding and were feeding Mazuri tortoise diet 5 times a week. I am worried about dehydration.

We never told her to feed the tortoise dry food or keep her enclosure dry. We feed Mazuri 2 - 3 times a week plus veggies, weeds and hibiscus when in season. We do not keep our tortoises dry. We keep hatchlings on newspaper and humidity is between 65% - 85%.

Thanks for reading. Just wanted to set the record straight on this.

First how would you keep humidity at 65% to 80% on newspaper? That would make mold.

[/quote]

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
You can keep up the humidity without soaking the substrate. Some people choose to keep their tortoises on a dry substrate and use humid hides. Plus Robert and Trish are from Florida, where it is generally pretty humid!

In any case, your false accusations towards Robert and Trish could have seriously ruined their reputation if they hadn't set the record straight.

John

5 Year Member
Why don't you give it up Margeret,It is very obvious from reading your other posts and threads that whatever problems you are having with tortoises has nothing to do with their origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.