Age??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubba_Love

5 Year Member
I got my Russian Tort Christmas 2011. Pet smart told us that he was a baby, but he is 4 and a half inches long. How do i know how old he is? Is there anyway to know how old he is?

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Sadly, no there is no way, but at that size, he is probably around 3-5 years old, mostly due to the fact he is probably wild caught its cheaper to import :D

Bubba_Love

5 Year Member
I was told that he will get used to me sooner or later, and he still freaks out when I try to pick him up to let him out.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Bubba_Love said:
I was told that he will get used to me sooner or later, and he still freaks out when I try to pick him up to let him out.

Yes it will take time for him to get used to you, think of it this way, you are this huge "thing" trying to pick up a small little tortoise, and he thinks that since you are bigger then him, you want to eat him, hence your a predator to him, but over the couse of a few months, and him seeing you give him food, he will become accustomed to you :D

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
No problem, have fun with him, he will be with you for a good chunk of your life :D

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Your tort is definitely not a baby, no way to tell the age though. In most cases the tort will get use to you, especially with Russians but some just have a shy personality and will always be that way. Just depends on the tort.

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
Arizona Sulcata said:
Your tort is definitely not a baby, no way to tell the age though. In most cases the tort will get use to you, especially with Russians but some just have a shy personality and will always be that way. Just depends on the tort.

Exactly. And that tort from petsmart has been handled by ALOT of people so once he gets settled in and a lot less stressed from being handled, you should be fine. I would try (not holding him) to feed him by hand in a couple of weeks after he settles down and that will help as far as him trusting you more. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.