Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stells

Should there be something in place so younger members have to say how old they are in sig or something. It turns out I love Twinkle is 9 years old and to be honest i think this is a little young to even be using the forum, esp with some of the postings made by themselves it can only end in tears.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Stells: Thanks for posting this. I read this post early this a.m., and just now read the whole thread on sexing Bean, the leopard tortoise, and I now see why you started this thread. If I didn't know, I might have said something I would have regretted. Thanks,

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Kelly and Yvonne, I PMd Ilove Twinkle and asked her to have her mom, dad and sister read my PM. I got a response back from mom. This is part of what I PM'd mom: Please be aware we do try and keep this a child friendly site but there are some things that may be sensitive to a nine or ten year old on the site. Dealing mainly with mating of torts etc. being on this forum may be something you may want to do with your daughters.
At this time I am still waiting on a response from her mum. Josh has also been notified.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
i think a proper age minmiun should be 13 years old. but enforcement is hard. maybe when you register you have to click a box stating that you are at least age, and if not, you have to have parental consent.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
I have added a minimum age limit and suggested supervision language to the registration agreement. We can't possibly bar underage users from registering but what we can do is place the responsibility of supervision with a child's parents. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, everyone.

Scumdeth

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Plymouth England
Who would swear on a forum like this? We need youngsters to keep our pets alive when we are a bit worse for wear and cant look after them ourselves, THE YOUTH NEED TO BE EDUCATED IN THE WAY OF THE TORT!!!
All the people i have come across on this forum are sooo polite and friendly that kids will not even see a rude word on this site.
That just shows what a respectful bunch of people that we are!
Just remember ,, our kids are our torts future, so teach them well and show them the way of the sweetest pet known.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Scumdeth said:
We need youngsters to keep our pets alive when we are a bit worse for wear and cant look after them ourselves, THE YOUTH NEED TO BE EDUCATED IN THE WAY OF THE TORT!!!
All the people i have come across on this forum are sooo polite and friendly that kids will not even see a rude word on this site.

I most emphatically agree with you, but yesterday when I was reading the posts by our very young poster (not knowing how old she was), she was acting a little silly, and I almost came back with a retort that I most certainly would have regretted later. So its nice to know just what age group the poster is.

Yvonne

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I was hoping she was a bit younger because I too was confused by some of her posts. Knowing she's only 9 years old explains a lot and helps us be able to explain certain things we may have overlooked before - especially if a youngster is viewing with a parents' supervision in order to learn. My 2 cents only.:rolleyes:

S

stells

All valid points, but when the young poster seems to be purposely making silly comments to get a rise out of someone its abit ridiculous and thinks that only herself is right she obviously doesn't want to learn.
Also 9 years old is way to young maybe nothing will go on on the forum but what about private messages or someone getting email address?? some very strange and dangerous people out there ;)

Scumdeth said:
Who would swear on a forum like this? We need youngsters to keep our pets alive when we are a bit worse for wear and cant look after them ourselves, THE YOUTH NEED TO BE EDUCATED IN THE WAY OF THE TORT!!!
That just shows what a respectful bunch of people that we are!
Just remember ,, our kids are our torts future, so teach them well and show them the way of the sweetest pet known.

Status
Not open for further replies.