Age ?

billytort

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
My Russian is 9cm long 8cm wide I’m thinking maybe like 1-2 years ?

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
Pictures are more helpful than measurements, but age is very hard to guess. The best most anyone can do is give you a range. If my math is right, that is like 3 inches and change....I would say between 3 to 5 years.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hm-m. . . I don't do centimeters, but Google tells me that he's about 3 and a half inches long. That might be about three or four years old. But tortoises grow at different rates. No way to tell really. Don't you have the paperwork that tells you when he was hatched?

Kale

10 Year Member!
Boston, MA
Just wondering if these pictures can give any sort of an estimate.

I'm in a similar scenario where I bought this tortoise from Petco/Petsmart (can't remember) and got no paperwork for him. I've had him for 5 years and I thought he was fairly young when I bought him but now I think maybe not. I was looking around here and it looks like based on the scutes and how he used to hide all the time, he is probably wild-caught. Based on the above posts, I think he must have been at least 5 when I bought him, making him around 10 now.

The only reason I ask is that his "birthday" is coming up and I think 8 candles might not be enough.IMG_20180801_080402802.jpg IMG_20180801_080447683.jpg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Just wondering if these pictures can give any sort of an estimate.

I'm in a similar scenario where I bought this tortoise from Petco/Petsmart (can't remember) and got no paperwork for him. I've had him for 5 years and I thought he was fairly young when I bought him but now I think maybe not. I was looking around here and it looks like based on the scutes and how he used to hide all the time, he is probably wild-caught. Based on the above posts, I think he must have been at least 5 when I bought him, making him around 10 now.

The only reason I ask is that his "birthday" is coming up and I think 8 candles might not be enough.View attachment 246892 View attachment 246893

Well happy Birthday to him no matter how many candles he gets!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Tortoises are going to have different growth rates depending on their living conditions and level of care. For profit pet stores are not going to provide the best conditions when compared to a private dealer or reputable seller. Chances are, like Kale, your tortoise may also be older than he or she may actually appear to be.