Age range of my sulcata.

Ramirezm2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Elk Grove CA
I got my male sulcata over a year ago from a family that could not take care of him anymore. They said he was two years old when I got him. So he could be currently 3. But he is already a bit over 18 inches in length and I have seen sulcatas that are older than 3 years that are much smaller. I know that sulcatas grow at very different rates but I was wondering if my sulcata could possibly be older or is it very normal to be this big already?

Ramirezm2

5 Year Member
Elk Grove CA
I wish i would have measured and weighed him from when I got him in order to see if he is having very fast growth. I will only know in months from now

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I wish i would have measured and weighed him from when I got him in order to see if he is having very fast growth. I will only know in months from now
Mine is just over 14" and won't be 3 for about 6 months @Maro2Bear has one that's right around 3 and is at least 18"

Got any pics of yours?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
You cannot tell the age of a tort unless you know when he/she was born, so as to speak. Too bad.

I wish I could know Oli's age, just curious.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
You cannot tell the age of a tort unless you know when he/she was born, so as to speak. Too bad.

He said it was 2 when he got it and he has had it a year so basically it's 3, he has an approximate age

Ramirezm2

5 Year Member
Elk Grove CA

Yeah that is what i figured. Ill just keep saying that he is 3. In 20-30 years, it wont really matter anyways.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That size is not unheard of for a well fed and well cared for 3 year old. I'd love to see pics. I've had more than a few reach 50 pounds by four years old, and that was on a diet of mostly grass with light feedings and living outside.

Ramirezm2

5 Year Member
Elk Grove CA
Mine is just over 14" and won't be 3 for about 6 months @Maro2Bear has one that's right around 3 and is at least 18"

Got any pics of yours?
That size is not unheard of for a well fed and well cared for 3 year old. I'd love to see pics. I've had more than a few reach 50 pounds by four years old, and that was on a diet of mostly grass with light feedings and living outside.
Here are some pics of him in his winter enclosure

IMG_7355.JPG IMG_7415.JPG IMG_7375.JPG IMG_7413.PNG

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I believe it.

I hope he does end up really big!

How long did it take your sulcatas to reach around 100lbs?
I have a 150+ lb one that will be 19 this year. He did not grow at all as fast as yours the first few years though. back then, I purposely grew them slower as that was the thinking back then to keep them smoother.

Ramirezm2

5 Year Member
Elk Grove CA
I have a 150+ lb one that will be 19 this year. He did not grow at all as fast as yours the first few years though. back then, I purposely grew them slower as that was the thinking back then to keep them smoother.

Wow that is awesome.

I bet he has an appetite!