My new baby sulcata: Tiny Montana

TurtyMontana

Location (City and/or State)
New Port Richey, Florida
Hi guys, new to the forum, new to baby sulcatas, not so new to the turtle and tortoise keeping life, just wanted to stop in and share my new baby sulcata in his feeding tub...I've had a couple older rescued sulcatas in the past, as well as foster older ones on a semi regular basis, but I've never raised one from a baby, and figured this is something my son and I could do together, as he is also very interested in reptile keeping20180614_123858.jpg Snapchat-1689067027.jpg

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hi guys, new to the forum, new to baby sulcatas, not so new to the turtle and tortoise keeping life, just wanted to stop in and share my new baby sulcata in his feeding tub...I've had a couple older rescued sulcatas in the past, as well as foster older ones on a semi regular basis, but I've never raised one from a baby, and figured this is something my son and I could do together, as he is also very interested in reptile keepingView attachment 241847 View attachment 241848
Beautiful baby [emoji4]

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi there, and welcome from Texas! I love your baby sully’s split scutes. If I am correct she is likely to grow up to be a girl:) I’m sure some of our great sulcata keepers will come along soon and correct me if I’m wrong on that. Glad you have found us here. There is soooo much collective knowledge and wisdom here on this forum. If you want to raise healthy sulcata from little hatchling just stick around, study our sulcata care sheets, ask questions, share your experiences and make friends. Great to have you here[emoji217]

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

My goal is always to help people avoid the mistakes that I've made myself and seen other people make. Most of the care advice given for this species is wrong. Its been repeated for decades and was originally based on incorrect assumptions about how and where they live in the wild.

I see four things that give me concern in your pics.
  1. Carrots are not good for them due to the high sugar content, and they can't eat large chunks like that. If you are going to feed some carrot or squash, its best to grate it. Broccoli is not great for them either.
  2. Why are you using a feeding tub, instead of feeding the tortoise in its enclosure?
  3. I see sand on the bottom of the feeding tub. Sand is very dangerous for baby sulcatas. They should never be on it.
  4. There is a good size notch between the scutes. This is a good indicator that conditions are too dry, or were too dry.
The three threads that TechnoCheese linked for you above this post will help remedy all of these issues.