Age of redfoot

Kelly evans

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle upon Tyne
I've just recently got 2 red foots one is 3 half inches and the other is just over 4 inches I was told they our 1 yr old but the difference in size is quite a bit what age would I be correct in thinking they are

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
It's really just a guess. Each person breeding them could raise them up entirely different allocating different growth rates. Also they of been hatched out at different dates too. I'd say probably around a year is accurate though. But still a guess.

Kelly evans

Newcastle upon Tyne
Thank you for your reply I have read a lot on redfoots but different sites say different things so best to ask tortoises keepers

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I'd agree with that. A year sounds quite plausible for those sizes. Mind you, those guys could even be 4 years old and perfectly healthy, or 6 months and perfectly healthy. Red Foots vary quite a lot in size as adults, and in the growth of them. For instance, I have a 3 and a half-year old who is only about 3.5 inches. As a yearling, he was only 2 inches. But the parents are very small compared to other Northerns-23 and 26 cm - and took over 15 years of 'proper' growth to get to that size.

Kelly evans

Newcastle upon Tyne
I'd agree with that. A year sounds quite plausible for those sizes. Mind you, those guys could even be 4 years old and perfectly healthy, or 6 months and perfectly healthy. Red Foots vary quite a lot in size as adults, and in the growth of them. For instance, I have a 3 and a half-year old who is only about 3.5 inches. As a yearling, he was only 2 inches. But the parents are very small compared to other Northerns-23 and 26 cm - and took over 15 years of 'proper' growth to get to that size.
Well that's interesting to know, I am aware of the size difference when fully grown but I thought they would of been about same size at 1 year old the difference in my two is very noticeable the larger George ( my son named him/ her) don't know sex yet looks Hugh compared to fudge

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
As Mr. Kelly Mentioned and others growth rates will vary .even within clutchmates. But at 3-4" and a year old , is a reasonable time frame for age/size.