After some years of hardwork... I've been rewarded.

Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
I've raised Tortoises since I was 5, but for the first time in my life I've been able to pursue my hobby further by actually having the room to breed Russian Tortoises. I built a nice 15ft x 6ft enclosure for my herd, it has 7 different types of plants available at all times to graze on and a variety of weeds, opuntia, leaves, flowers and dark leafy greens. My tortoises started to grow, slowly of course, but their routines became solid and predictable, like they should be. I waited and waited, but it seemed they weren't going to breed. 2015 yielded no eggs, but I knew this was going to play out his way, so it wasn't a disappointment. I assumed 2016 would be the same...

Then I put them outside because we've had two weeks of warm weather, and that will most likely be how it is from this point on. First day out, my 6 inch female, Dora digs a hole, but, ya know, she's probably just trying to hide. So I check a few hours later, nothing, so whatever. The next day I walk out and Dora has her butt in a flask shaped hole, but it can't be. I take a closer look, and what do I see, but she's digging a nest, no debating it. I ran inside and screamed "YEEEEEESSSSSSSHHHHHHH!!!!" and started shadow boxing and jumping around like an idiot. I stopped myself because the wife would be home soon and I didn't need her to see me acting like an idiot. I've been trying to get eggs for so long and it just happened out of the blue. Did I over react or does it always feel this great?

Well, I got my first clutch of 2016, and my first clutch ever, and thanks to the tortoise forum I was ready for it. I have the eggs incubating at 89.0F and humidity is usually between 70-80% humidity, I shoot for 75% as a consistent. I would post pictures, but I think we've all seen an egg before. I'll keep everyone updated. 9 days in at this point. Now the real test is here, can I hatch them? But I did my homework before hand, so wish me luck.

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
Fantastic, best of luck!! I'm hoping myself to get my first successful hatch with a clutch from New Year's Day - it is so hard waiting and watching...

SoCal
Well, one egg rotted but last night my first baby ever hatched. I temp sexed her to be a female, but we'll see. I also got two more eggs 45 days after the first clutch. My little one is bright and healthy, she has a very minor split scute but that's okay with me. I'm actually surprised she hatched, I messed up and let the vermiculite get too wet and the egg cracked, but because of the info on this site I was able to save the egg and hatch it. This has been an extremely rewarding journey, ups and downs, but I'm officially no longer just a tortoise keeper, I'm a breeder now. This was a defining moment in my life, as strange as that might sound, but when I saw that baby hatch, I realized this is what I want to do for the rest of my life.

SoCal
I'll post them when I can find a device to transfer them to my computer, my phone and Ipad don't want to cooperate.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
WHAT AN ADORABLE LITTLE NUGGET!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Congratulations! Russians can be surprisingly tricky to breed. But as someone who has been successfully doing it for many years I can say that I still have a happy dance moment every time! Here's one of my munchkins to say hello!

Attachments

• IMG_20150531_183452.jpg
    IMG_20150531_183452.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18