after rain in the turtle garden this AM

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
TerryO is the surely one of the best box turtle managers that there is! If those guys only knew how spoiled they are.

turtlelou

5 Year Member
Beautiful! Do they hunt for their own food too? I see you feed them but I was wondering if they still hunt :).

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thanks again. Yes they do hunt. Each Spring, I throw in about 200 worms. The worms dig in all over so they are always hunting. I feed them every AM in the Summer. Heres a little GC that will be in the house for a few more years. He goes out with me for an hour or two when I'm working in the flower garden just to get some sun. 002.JPG

Zoobythesea

So beautiful! The garden and the turtles! I would love to incorporate some plants into my outdoor enclosure. Could you share some of the plant names that you have growing here???

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
AMAZING !! Such a beautiful enclosure and your box turtles are so beautiful they look so healthy and active , "I want some box turtles !!!!lol

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
How can we not like the enclosure or Box turtles of yours?? It is just amazingly beautiful.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
So beautiful! The garden and the turtles! I would love to incorporate some plants into my outdoor enclosure. Could you share some of the plant names that you have growing here???
Thank you everyone for all the nice compliments.
There's plenty of creeping jenny. I have to keep pulling some out all Summer or it will take over, but I like it for a ground cover as the turtles can walk all over it and it never dies. Two very big hosta's for them to sit under and they draw slugs, which they love, lots of "never dies" which will flower soon. I don't know the real name, but we call them never die's because they come up each year and spread. Day lilies, because I love them. Elephant ears...just love their colors. Coleus, love their colors too. Ornamental grass that shoots up little purple flowers, and a hardy hibiscus that makes very big red flowers, and some kind of sedum that I put around the pond because that comes up each year and flowers and spreads. Oh, I had a small fig tree in there but it died and didn't come up this Spring. This was a terrible Winter here and lots of people I know lost their fig trees. I still have others though, and I'll put another one in there soon. It really looks pretty when everything flowers, but then you can hardly see the turtles, which is a good thing.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Figs are a favorite with the Box Turtles and my Cherry Head also. I have a few fig trees and it looks like two made it. I thought they were all dead because of this awful Winter we had, but they are coming up from the roots now.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Beautiful pictures. Such cute expressions on the turtles faces. Some look like they are smiling. Thanks for sharing.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Terryo I just LOVE looking at your turtle gardens. I am still dreaming and planning to have my own.

Just love your boxers ! Very cute.
Can I ask what do you mean rescue? I am willing to be volunteer for non-profit turtle/tortoise organization.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have a friend who runs a rescue not too far from where I live, and sometimes she has some box turtles that cannot be released into the wild, so she adopts them out. That's where I got some of mine. Others people gave me. See if there's any rescue's near you or in your area. They always need help.

I have a friend who runs a rescue not too far from where I live, and sometimes she has some box turtles that cannot be released into the wild, so she adopts them out. That's where I got some of mine. Others people gave me. See if there's any rescue's near you or in your area. They always need help.
Great ! Thank you. I will do research on that.