After a couple decades.. Mollies again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Well this old { dime a dozen } 55 has had Spotted turtles in it [ 1999-2000 ] and then Diamondback Terrapins [ 2009-2011 ].. but never fish. Early '80's bred Mollies in a couple 20L tanks.. but haven't had them since.. until now.

Early on there were Black mollies and Marbled mollies and Green Sailfin mollies.. and then Lyre-tail black mollies.

{ please forgive these 'first' pics.. I'll figure it out.. tricky lighting and they don't usually sit there and pose }

Now there are names I can't pronounce so I'll call this one a Gold Sailfin Lyre-tail -

1stMOLLIE.jpg

Again with an Orange.. both males - very gravid females to the right and Gold-dust Lyre-tails in the background..

2ndMollies.jpg

These are live-bearers.. 2" - 2 1/2" now and have babies every 28 days! I now have a 10 gal. tank as a nursery and maternity ward.. with a half-dozen babies I've found in the main tank so far.. the adults are very cannibalistic!

Terry

Will get better pics of individual ones hopefully tomorrow.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Once again amazing photography Terry! I've never gotten a picture half that good of my fish.

Its been a long time gone since I kept Mollies, but they were always one of my favorites as well. I think I got tired of always having fry tanks and trying to save the babies (not sure what it is I just can't sit by and let them get eaten). They sure are prolific.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Never had much luck with the mollies. I don't think my tap water suited them. I tried ever degree of brackishness from straight fresh to salt. Never could get them to thrive and reproduce. My water was, however, perfect for African Cichlids or for treating and mixing your own salt for saltwater tanks.

Great pics Terry. Fantastic color. They are obviously doing well for you.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Tom: Mollies require high alkaline ( ph 7.6+ is fine ) and a full tablespoon of "sea-salt" per 5 gal. of water.

Balboa: Thank you.. finishing decor touches ASAP.. [ and then some serious camera tweaking! ] - until then...Male "Gold-dust" and one of his girlfriends -

GoldDustMALE.jpg

That's 'fred' in the background...

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Well I think I have the decor the way I want it now.. pics tomorrow.

Caught a couple of the albino "Cory-cats" in the corner.. they seldom stop!

OrangeCATS.jpg

Orange lyre-tail male behind them.

Two of the Gold-dust were very gravid so I put them in the 'nursery' tank last night.. this morning one had "delivered" and by early afternoon the other had too! I quit counting at 20...

This one is next -

GravidGOLD.jpg

Terry

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Nerd...post some pictures of the babies, and your nursery tank. It's been years since I've had tropical fish. I think the most interesting are the Angel Fish. Why don't you try raising some of those? What fun! And of course your pictures are great.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Finally got around to taking pics of babies for TerryO - she had probly 25 last night.. one female! Each baby is maybe? 1/4".

603babies.jpg

Two other females had ??? earlier this week.

I'll get a pic of the "maternity" and "nursery" tank ASAP.

After 10-12 weeks they start showing their "lyre-tail" developing -

10weekbabies.jpg

One of the females - right at 2" ?

tfoFemale.jpg

It really does take patience to get decent pics of fish.. a new pic of the "gold" male ASAP...

NERD

Status
Not open for further replies.