African violets

TisMary

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Are African violets okay in a sulcata enclosure ?

-Thanks, Nicole.
Hi @nicoleann2214. Should be fine although you won't be able to leave it outside all year. It's Safe to Feed according to The Tortoise Table Plant database. I have one in my Hermann's enclosure (he hasn't found it yet, but it's only a matter of time! ?)

Fun fact: these are not violets at all! African Violet is a Saintpulia - a member (in good standing ?) of the Gesneriaceae Family; violets/violas/pansies belong to the Violaceae Family. Both plants have 5-petaled "irregular" flowers (not all the petals are the same size); but with the Violet, each flower grows on its own stem. Saintpaulia flowers grow in clusters of 3–10 or more on slender stalks called peduncles.

Violet/viola
1628610238593.png
image courtesy of A to Z Flowers

closeup of my African Violet to show the flower clusters:
1628610741473.jpeg

nicoleann2214

Location (City and/or State)
NY
Hi @nicoleann2214. Should be fine although you won't be able to leave it outside all year. It's Safe to Feed according to The Tortoise Table Plant database. I have one in my Hermann's enclosure (he hasn't found it yet, but it's only a matter of time! ?)

Fun fact: these are not violets at all! African Violet is a Saintpulia - a member (in good standing ?) of the Gesneriaceae Family; violets/violas/pansies belong to the Violaceae Family. Both plants have 5-petaled "irregular" flowers (not all the petals are the same size); but with the Violet, each flower grows on its own stem. Saintpaulia flowers grow in clusters of 3–10 or more on slender stalks called peduncles.

Violet/viola
View attachment 330709
image courtesy of A to Z Flowers

closeup of my African Violet to show the flower clusters:
View attachment 330711
Thank you! I plan on putting it in her indoor enclosure !