African hingeback suddenly laying eggs!

greeneyedlady

Hi everyone,

I have a 10-year-old African hingeback named Frito who we have had almost 8 years. She laid an egg 5 days ago and now has laid another one today. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? Frito was under my daughter's care until she left for college 2-1/2 years ago, so now I am her sole caregiver. Can anyone reassure me that she's ok?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Most female tortoises don't lay eggs unless they've been with a male, however some female tortoises, without having been with a male, will lay eggs, just like chickens do.

It's nothing to worry about. Just make sure she's warm enough and is getting plenty of calcium to replenish what she's using on the eggs.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Hi,

Can you tell us the Latin name of you r tortoise kinixys...
Maybe it would be easier to give you an answer.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ , USA . A lot of young females do funny things . She may dig a hole and 6feet from hole lay eggs on top of the ground . She might lay one egg today 5-7 days lay more . But good luck and have a great tort day

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! What kind of hingeback is she? Has she been with any male since you have had her? Though it mostly gave you a bit of a scare, her actually laying the eggs is a great thing. Death can happen to females who make eggs, but never lay them. So this was a blessing.