Advise please! (coconut oil)

Thomas tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Hi, I was wondering if coconut oil is bad for you tortoise? Cause I was looking at stuff on google to make my tortoises shell look really nice and they say coconut oil works but as everyone one should know Google does not have good advise on tortoises so I was wondering if this is okay to use coconut oil?

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Coconut oil is not bad for your tortoise's shell. @Markw84 regularly recommends applying coconut oil to a hatchling's shell to encourage moisturization of the new keratin at the scute boundaries to help prevent pyramiding. I do not believe that coconut oil alone will prevent pyramiding, however.
Thanks!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I like coconut oil once in a while for my adult Russian after a soak. I wouldn't want to do it every day though. And I always wipe and buff off the excess after it sits a bit. I kinda think that it also helps to lift the dirt that could be in crevices of their shell.?

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
I like coconut oil once in a while for my adult Russian after a soak. I wouldn't want to do it every day though. And I always wipe and buff off the excess after it sits a bit. I kinda think that it also helps to lift the dirt that could be in crevices of their shell.?

Greetings. A little goes a long way. Apply some, wipe all around, thrn give it a wipe off. We used to give our Sully a nice rub down following soaking….(back when we could easily lift her).
Thank you both! I just put coconut oil on him this morning then I soaked him and a lot of the coconut oil went into his bath water and he drank some. Is this okay? Should I start putting coconut oil on him after his bath?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thank you both! I just put coconut oil on him this morning then I soaked him and a lot of the coconut oil went into his bath water and he drank some. Is this okay? Should I start putting coconut oil on him after his bath?
Put it on after his bath now and then and then buff the excess off. It is for the same reason that people use lotion. It's just to hold some of the water in that has soaked in by the bath. I doubt that once would hurt because it is a plant oil.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Put it on after his bath now and then and then buff the excess off. It is for the same reason that people use lotion. It's just to hold some of the water in that has soaked in by the bath. I doubt that once would hurt because it is a plant oil.
Thank you!