Advice please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

princessdreamsxxx

5 Year Member
I have taken on early this year a big female leo she apparently laid her first clutch at the end of last year quite late November she has not laid since she has showed lots of signs but I have had her x rayed and no eggs I would have seen her lay as I am home most of the time has anyone else had this? She came to me 11" plastron weighing 4 kg she now weighs 6 kg!!

turtleluv88

5 Year Member
I'm not sure if it's normal but one of my female RES would lay about 3 clutches every spring for the last 7-8 years (she 12 years old) and this year nothing. I palpated her for eggs but felt nothing and she showed no signs of being gravid. So I was kinda wondering the same thing as you. Do turtles go through menopause or something like that?

Vincentdhr

5 Year Member
According to "The Last Tortoise" turtles and tortoises don't loaded fertility with age. In fact their fertility rate seems to rise with age.

*lose fertility

In other words, they produce eggs for their entire lives.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Has she been with a male? Some tortoises only lay eggs after they've been bred. My leopards are like that.

princessdreamsxxx

5 Year Member
Yes she has been with this male most of her life but normally it's just been him and her but now it's him and 3 females

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
My two cents, some go years without laying and others never stop. The fact that she has been moved could have an influence on her not laying more eggs yet, she may need to acclimate. I have witnesses a proven female aldabra totally stopped laying eggs for five years after she was moved and then she has layer three clutches in the same year when she acclimated and felt comfortable. Many factors can influence some animals when reproduction is concerned. The fact that she has lay'd is great, she is proven for the future!

Status
Not open for further replies.