Advice please!! Leopard or Star? or both

Status
Not open for further replies.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
Ok

I am a bit of a over do it person and i cant be told no, well I can be but i tend to get very sulky.

So i used to look at the leopards and really really really wanted one, so i waited for 6 months and then got one.

Now if i go back to the same person to get another, it will be 2 males that i have! I dont think thats a good idea... but of course it could be a female but she incubates with just a rock heater and it doesnt get above 82 really...so humm males!!

Now i look at the stars and i am bouncing out of my seat!!!!

I have the funds and of course the time........

Of course i wont be satisfied with out one and the odds are i will look for another leopard as well......

I'm a addict

What do i do? What would you do? How did you stop?

I cant wait till all my babies wake up outside, i spend all my time outside with them and my garden!!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Hahaha, so you've finally seen the light. ;)

The Tortoise Addiction has sucked you right into the vortex. :cool:

I am still resisting...can you grab my hand? :p

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I got a finger on the edge of the cliff, your reaching out for me, i am scared to let go..what will happen?

jblayza

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I think you should just buy me a star first (I already have a leopard) and then I will feel better about giving you feed back on your question, lol. If I had the funds I'd prolly get a star a hingeback a cherry head and a pancake. I say get both if you can.

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
uk
i know the feeing, im looking at getting another leopard as well lol

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Well, Terra, it's very clear that the only advice you are going to get here is from people who are already on the other side...:rolleyes:

I fear I came too late. ;)

jblayza

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Stephanie Logan said:
Well, Terra, it's very clear that the only advice you are going to get here is from people who are already on the other side...:rolleyes:

Everything floats down here! hahaha

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Terra: To interject a more serious note here...Only YOU can decide whether or not you have room and skill enough to diversify right now. You need to look at the size of your property and the adult size of your existing animals. Yes, it takes a while for a leopard tortoise to grow to full size, but if, in the meantime, you are filling up all your space on the property with new types of tortoise, are you going to have enough room when BB gets full grown? Also, what type of outdoor habitat will the Star tortoise require. Can he live outdoors in the Sacramento area, or will he need to be an indoor tortoise? Are you experienced enough yet to handle a new type of tortoise who required a different type of care?

Just because others of us on the forum prefer one kind of tortoise over another is no reason for you to make your decision. YOU make the decision...all on your own. Do your research on the Star and make sure you can handle it. Talk to those with experience either raising or keeping stars.

In my opinion, you should stay where you are for at least a season. Get to know your Russians, box turtles and baby leopard. Then if you still feel the need to diversify, and feel you can handle it, go for it.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Well if i was to get another one, it would be a baby! so i would have time to build a nice custom garage for warmth outside!

I have not research a star enough, i was hoping to get more info on it from this thread, i will continue to look into it. I have a large enough area for what i have and will expand when needed.

Yvonne and Stephanie, thank you for the voice of the other side. You are very correct I should wait to advance to a star. So unless one falls in my lap for free (yeah right) I will stick to what i have. maybe I will just incubate a egg of my own this year from (our friend) and go with the high temps..

I like that idea! Lets learn to incubate this year! I got the set up I just need to do it...

jblayza

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
(Whispering)Do it, do it, lol J/K
That was good advice Yvonne gave you, we all wish we had the room and experience for many species of tortoises, but some of us just don't have the room or experience, yet. I think your making a good decision by waiting.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Click on the turtletary.com link below and go to the STARS page and look at Species Profile ... about 3/4 way down the page.

Terry K

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Why am i swarming with local people who raise tortoises?

I took my abundance of food to "Karen" SHeis a sac, tort and turt club member...she happens to be hatching out some stars right now and has some baby leopards!! GEEZZZ I just said to myself NO and now today, ther ein my face!!

Well she told me to wait on the stars till i have the leopard care down really well. I agree

But she incubates at 88!! She has a pardalis pardalis vs mine that is a pardalis babcocki .. actually I should make a minor correction to that, it is a mix of the two species....

So I am going to wait a week until i get my outside pen complete and then pick up this one from her...
She/he is a little bit older than BB and cost 75 dollars..

Since she raises Stars I will learn from her about there care and such this summer and next spring see where i am at!!!

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
like stated in previous posts, id defently read up on much as you can about leopards and stars. leopards need alot of room, they get fairly large. they are similiar to stars habitats and requirements. stars have had a reputation for being difficult,but IMO they are just like any other tortoise if kept in the right conditions. defently learn as much as you can about what speicies you pick, i love both and i also keep redfoots and sulcatas. let us know what you pick!

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I have a leopard now and i have the space and i put a deposit down on another leopard, as stated in my prior post.. I think i said that... The deposit was my word and she wanted a bag of Mazuri so i dropped of a 25 lbs bag....

jobeanator said:
like stated in previous posts, id defently read up on much as you can about leopards and stars. leopards need alot of room, they get fairly large. they are similiar to stars habitats and requirements. stars have had a reputation for being difficult,but IMO they are just like any other tortoise if kept in the right conditions. defently learn as much as you can about what speicies you pick, i love both and i also keep redfoots and sulcatas. let us know what you pick!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
terracolson said:

I took my abundance of food to "Karen" SHeis a sac, tort and turt club member...she happens to be hatching out some stars right now and has some baby leopards!! GEEZZZ I just said to myself NO and now today, ther ein my face!!

Well she told me to wait on the stars till i have the leopard care down really well. I agree

But she incubates at 88!! She has a pardalis pardalis vs mine that is a pardalis babcocki .. actually I should make a minor correction to that, it is a mix of the two species....

So I am going to wait a week until i get my outside pen complete and then pick up this one from her...
She/he is a little bit older than BB and cost 75 dollars..

Since she raises Stars I will learn from her about there care and such this summer and next spring see where i am at!!!

That's what you asked for terra! :p

Terry K

Status
Not open for further replies.