Advice: 3 year old Leopard tortoise

britsip

Location (City and/or State)
Reno, NV
I've been educating myself and preparing for my first tortoise. I've been extremely torn between species, but I am greatly drawn to the leopard. My fear is indoor space and environmental factors... I live in Reno, NV, which means it's very dry year round and very cold in the winter. I fear that I won't be able to provide a large enough indoor, humid space. What size indoor enclosure is appropriate for a Leopard? I'm not interested in a hatching and am currently looking at a 3 year old that is approximately 6 inches. Would Reno's dry weather be unacceptable for a Leopard? How would you house a Leopard indoors during the winter? Would it be wiser to get a truly dry species like a Hermann's or Marginated? I desperately do not want to harm a tortoise because I'm to stubborn to admit that the environment where I live is not appropriate.
Lastly, I've attached a photo of a Leopard that is being re-homed and am hoping one of you experienced keepers can tell me if he/she looks healthy or normal? Is it "bad" that he/she is hiding in their shell while being held? Does the pyramiding seem normal? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you.image (1).jpeg image (2).jpeg

Attachments

• image (3).jpeg
    image (3).jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16

Nmcgowan

The hiding thing is pretty normal. I would say every tort is different: some are more outgoing than others. Mine keeps her head out when I pick her up but they are all different. There is some slight pyramiding but it doesn't seem to bad, actually its better than a lot of others I've seen. I'm not an expert in any way. I've only had my own hatchling for 3 months, my opinion is just based off what I've seen and talked about with other Leo owners. I have no advice on the habitat info (I'm hoping to get some more advice on this as well). I do know that humidity is a must for Leos at least. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you have the means and space, any tortoise can live happy and healthy any place, that's my opinion. As for this leopard, can tell if it's healthy in a pic. The pyramiding is not bad. An adult leopard can live inside when it's cold in at least a 4x8 enclosure. It could also live outside with a cold weather heated retreat like a shed or large dog house type box, with access to the outside. A warm humid hide when leopards are large seems to work good on keeping pyramiding down. For hatchlings, they need a humid closed chamber as just a humid hide doesn't work as good for hatchlings.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I agree with the above. The tortoise looks pretty good. I house leopards inside for winter. I dedicate a bedroom to them and provide humid hides inside and out. You will have to really focus on keeping it hydrated, but enough time and money, and you can do it.

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
there appears to be some recent growth lines, i always take that as a sign of good health.