Adult Sulcata Height/Width

Status
Not open for further replies.

ra94131

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
It's easy to find weight and length numbers, but what is the height (standing up on all fours) and width of your adult Sulcata?

ra94131

5 Year Member
Colorado
Nope, I can measure my yearling, but I'm trying to get an idea of the height/width of an adult (which I do not have).

I hope that clarifies my question.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Size is not really relevant to the statement of adult. Sexual maturity is at ~12 years old, which is why you get a lot of posts with size relevant to age rather than adulthood. There's so much variation in size that you could have two adults from different breeders and the sizes could be entirely different. The other thing is that trying to get a measurement for a large sulcata standing up is likely to be exceptionally difficult due to the nature of their defense mechanism, which I think is why we all stick to measuring the shell.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Walker my 17 year old sulcata measures 27 inches in length, 17 inches wide, and his standing height is 15 inches, when he is resting his height is 12.5 inches.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Here's something to think about! Monstro (formerly Climber) is 18.25" long...12" wide...9" tall laying down and 12" tall standing/walking! And he weighs 35 lbs +/- ...Oh yeah! He'll be 4 years old in September!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Not certain! There's a chance Brad sold some of his animals to Linda's parents (where Monstro and Jamie came from) back in the day...but there's no way to tell! The female (Big M) is all of 36" and near 200 lbs... so she could definitely be Sudan...but the father is only about 125 lbs...so I kinda doubt full blood is a possibility!

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
Livingstone said:
Size is not really relevant to the statement of adult. Sexual maturity is at ~12 years old...

Weird, but I've read that Sulcatas reach sexual maturity according to their size. Perhaps it is different between males and females?

Thanks!

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Age is irrelevant to adulthood. It is a matter of size. I have had animals between two and three years old reproduce in some instances.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wewt said:
Livingstone said:
Size is not really relevant to the statement of adult. Sexual maturity is at ~12 years old...

Weird, but I've read that Sulcatas reach sexual maturity according to their size. Perhaps it is different between males and females?

Thanks!

You and Baoh beat me to it.

Males can reproduce at 14". This size can be reached as early as two years old. Females typically don't reproduce until they are 17-18". I've heard of females as small as 15" laying fertile eggs, but I wouldn't call that the norm. This size can be reached by a female in 3-4 years.

ra94131 said:
It's easy to find weight and length numbers, but what is the height (standing up on all fours) and width of your adult Sulcata?

Are you asking so you know how big to make your night box door?

I make my doors 26" wide and 17" tall for adult enclosures.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Wow tom,i just.read that they can reach 18 inches within in few years.... I think something wrong with mine then :(

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Because they 5 years and one is 16.5 inches the other 15 inches...why ? :huh:

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

ra94131

5 Year Member
Colorado
Tom said:
ra94131 said:

Are you asking so you know how big to make your night box door?

I make my doors 26" wide and 17" tall for adult enclosures.

Bingo. Not really worried about the definition of adult or sexual maturity... just want him to fit through the door.

Thanks for the additional info though, guys. Very interesting.

thereptileenthusiast

5 Year Member
Lol, I also assumed you were asking for the purpose of designing something that would accommodate an adult. I was pondering the same thing as I am knocking the idea around of using plaster to sculpt the wooden supports I use to prevent erosion of burrow entrances. I want to make it look more natural, like a limestone outcrop. My guy isn't full grown yet at 16 inches, but I don't want to have to enlarge it later.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
What I have heard of:

Males breeding as small as 10-11" and females as small as 12" laying.

What I have directly observed in my own collection over the past few years (several times):

Males breeding as small as 12" and females as small as 13" laying. Of all of my current adult and subadult CB females, it looks like only one thus far will take longer hitting the point that she will lay than 13-14" scl (she is currently 15"). Unless the path alters course, it looks like next year will be her first reproductive season. Typical in my animals is males starting at 13" and females at 13.5-14".

All measurements being scl, of course.

Outside of one LTC animal, all of my current CB breeder sulcatas are around six years old or less. Mostly less at 3-4 years old. One of my female ivories is expected to hit breeding size late this year or early the next, which will be well before she hits three years of age.

I am talking about actual reproduction and not simply breeding behavior, by the way.

-------------------

Correct thread this time...probably....

Status
Not open for further replies.