adult red foots indoor enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

shane1111

5 Year Member
I'm looking for ideas for 3 adult red foots (7" to 8") not full grown. So I was wondering how you guys have adult red foots set up like?
I need some ideas because the red foots will only be out side for 3 months out of the year.
and if you guys have pictures can you post them
I do not have any adults yet. So I'm just looking for ideas
thanks

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Thanks for finding those for me, Yvonne!

I have since taken that habitat down, but it worked well and would have been OK, but a little tight, for my herd of 5 at the time. It was about 10'x4' at the biggest point, and much of the heat, humidity, and light came from the room it was in and a big heater, humidifier, windows, etc.

Other people have set up literally indoor greenhouses for these tortoises, and raised tortoises, plants, Anoles, and more in what are basically modified rooms.

The book 'Nomadic Furniture' either #1 or 2, has a cool idea- he uses cheap 2x4s to build a simple wooden frame in a room he does not like but cannot change, then mounts seating, shelving, etc. to that framework.

It would be really easy to build such a frame in a little-used room, make a 'bathtub floor' and cover the frame with plastic sheeting to create a room you can heat, light, and humidify, and walk into to do the daily cares. Adding plant shelves means you could also raise the tortoise's food and supplement your diet in the same space.

Right now my guys are little enough it is not going to be an issue for a while yet, but something like this is one of my current top three plans. (#2 is building a tort table with a PVC/plastic sheeting tent on a bed frame, and adding another at a right angle when they get bigger yet, and #3 is a dedicated walk-in herp room/greenhouse in the basement like an amphibian hobbyist friend of mine used to have.)

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I have mine in a spare upstairs room.There is about 6" of cypress mulch on the floor.I have two large hides with moist moss inside.I also have a nestbox for the females.I keep 2 vaporizers running around the clock to keep the humidity up.

One of the hides

100_4114.jpg

The nestbox

100_4099.jpg

A wider view

100_4102.jpg

HarleyK

5 Year Member
jackrat said:
I have mine in a spare upstairs room.There is about 6" of cypress mulch on the floor.I have two large hides with moist moss inside.I also have a nestbox for the females.I keep 2 vaporizers running around the clock to keep the humidity up.

One of the hides

100_4114.jpg

The nestbox

100_4099.jpg

A wider view

100_4102.jpg

The nest box is for egg laying right. I thought they only laid eggs in soft soil?

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
HarleyK said:
jackrat said:

One of the hides

100_4114.jpg

The nestbox

100_4099.jpg

A wider view

100_4102.jpg

The nest box is for egg laying right. I thought they only laid eggs in soft soil?
The nest box is full of soil.I scatter some cypress mulch on top to act as an indicator that digging has been taking place.

Status
Not open for further replies.