Adult Leopard Substrate

ShellBabyFlash

Location (City and/or State)
Nicholasville
Hi y'all! We have an adult female leopard tortoise and have questions on substrate for her indoor enclosure.

I've read many posts on here about substrate for babies/juvenile leopards but nothing on adults. Is it the same with the coco fiber?

She is our rescue so she deserves the very best!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi y'all! We have an adult female leopard tortoise and have questions on substrate for her indoor enclosure.

I've read many posts on here about substrate for babies/juvenile leopards but nothing on adults. Is it the same with the coco fiber?

She is our rescue so she deserves the very best!
Coco coir is too messy. Fine grade orchid bark is best if you must have an indoor enclosure. Keep it damp.

Outdoors, the native dirt usually works best.

ShellBabyFlash

Nicholasville
Coco coir is too messy. Fine grade orchid bark is best if you must have an indoor enclosure. Keep it damp.

Outdoors, the native dirt usually works best.

Where do you get the fine grade orchid bark? Do you have to worry about them eating it? I swear she pees a lake when she goes, so I want something a little absorbent... Will that work? And cleanse with boiling water every couple months like other posts have said?

ShellBabyFlash

Nicholasville
It’s lovely to hear you say “she deserves the very best.” Torts deserve no less!

She is such an incredible creature! A friend found her wandering on his farm and asked if I wanted her. I said absolutely! Lol :) Flash is 14lbs. of attitude and eating machine... We have no idea where she came from, but she's ours now!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where do you get the fine grade orchid bark? Do you have to worry about them eating it? I swear she pees a lake when she goes, so I want something a little absorbent... Will that work? And cleanse with boiling water every couple months like other posts have said?
Local garden centers sometimes have it in bulk. AKA: Fir bark.

If not, its called Repti-bark at any pet store.

Yes it is absorbent. No need to boil it. Just spot clean daily.