Adult humidity tolerance - how much is too much?

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
south Texas
When I was researching torts in the beginning I has it narrowed down to redfoots and leopards as my top choices. Because the ambient outdoor humidity here is +50%, and a lot of times 80% or higher I chose redfoots so they could comfortably live outdoors as adults, whereas adult leopards need lower humidity...

However, further research and looking at this forum I'm not sure I'm correct. I have found conflicting info about humidity tolerance of adults. What do Y'all know about it?

I'm not trading in my redfoots, I adore them, but I'd love to have a leopard some day! But only if my environment is compatible. I have tons of space and good temps, I'm just worried the humidity is too high for adults. Thoughts?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All tortoise species do just fine with higher levels of humidity as long as you don't let them get cold and damp at the same time. Give your leopards a heated night box and they will do fine with soupy Southern humidity. They will also grow nice and smooth down there.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Generally, leopards can tolerate any level of humidity very well. There are long-term adults kept in areas such as Hawaii and Arizona. That's a wide spectrum of climate-types. What you need to be mindful of is the temperatures. Most people agree that the higher the humidity, the more critical it is to keep temperatures up. Any temperature thresholds, as far as when you might see potential issues, have not been tested to my knowledge, but a conservative recommendation is to keep ensure they are not exposed to temperatures that dip below 80 degrees for very long if humidity is high (maybe 60% plus).