How much humidity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
So my leopard tortoise now is going on 2 years old soon. I have a misting system for him. It goes off every two hours. Not at night time and stops about 4 hours before lights go out. For some reason I still don't get that much humidity. He is getting a little more pyramiding. Is the misting system too much? On to often? I have a heater in the water it mists at 91 degrees comes out a lot less hot. Should I add a uth to this to warm the wet ground?

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
So everything else I on par then? So I added the uth humidity after about 30 min hit 80. It's working.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Can you post pics of your setup? What are your humidity readings?

With a half-open enclosure during the day and cheap humidifier I'm able to keep the humidity at 70%+ at the center reading (lower on the hot end, higher on the cool covered end), and fully enclosed at night it goes over 90%. So it gets 13 hours per day of 90% plus.

With the current readings I've had nothing but smooth growth. From all I've read here there is no magic number, but this has worked for me.

EuWB4.jpg

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
I am going to have to retake a shot for you I will pm you when I get it. If I cover it I am just worried the basking spot will get way too hot. I use a mist king with two nozzles spraying on the hot side for a minute and a half onto moss. I now added the UTH so I am hoping that will help.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-55640.html

Here is the tank when I first got it. Now the light is hanging and I have a humid along with 2 CHE's one on the coller side and one in the middle. The nozzles are on the hot side spray every 4 hours. it does cool the basking spot down but i believe thats on the ground only the air it still hot.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
Does anyone have a recommendation for a humidifier or misting system?

surie_the_tortoise

5 Year Member
findlay,ohio
Tortus said:
Can you post pics of your setup? What are your humidity readings?

With a half-open enclosure during the day and cheap humidifier I'm able to keep the humidity at 70%+ at the center reading (lower on the hot end, higher on the cool covered end), and fully enclosed at night it goes over 90%. So it gets 13 hours per day of 90% plus.

With the current readings I've had nothing but smooth growth. From all I've read here there is no magic number, but this has worked for me.

EuWB4.jpg

that is a beautiful tortoise

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Thanks, surie. But she sure does look smug in that pic. Most 4+ month olds look cute and cuddly. Mine looks like it wants to rip someone's head off.

Status
Not open for further replies.