ADORABLE new kitty!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
This little guy was scheduled to die yesterday at the shelter, and I just could not let that happen. I have wanted a manx with extra toes since I was a little tiny girl, and this guy is just sweet as pie. So I brought him home!

He has an appointment to lose his manhood next week, lol. Very sweet, perfectly litter trained, but wants REALLY BAD to get outside, lol. Not gonna happen, kitty kitty, so get used to it ;)

He is a bit skinny and his coat is really rough and sheddy, but a couple weeks or so on Iams should see him back in tip top shape ;) For those of you that don't feed Iams, you should, IMO. My cats are so shiny, healthy, and perfect weights. I like the "Indoor Hairball and Weight Control" formula.

So, here he is! Still trying to come up with the right name!

KristinasPictures3549.jpg

KristinasPictures3547.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's going to be a beautiful cat when he gets his new coat! I love his pink nose. And extra toes! Manx are my favorite cats. I have one too, but she's a torty.

Think of a "human" name. I really like common, ordinary human names for animals. I once knew someone who had a horse named Jane.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
LOL, my old gelding was Jim, or James when it was time to go to work ;) (RIP old buddy.)

He is young, I think. I would guess 8mos-1 year at the most. My oldest daughter wants to call him Bob - but that is a bit TOO common for me, I think, lol, so I keep telling her to knock it off ;)

My other cats are Louie, Marley, Mo, and Krissie.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
PAHLEEZE!!! "Bob" common??? I think NOT!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Does the shelter you got him from Do testing for FELV etc? Out here in calif.. you cant get an animal out of the shelter unless its ALREADY neutered. A few exceptions, but pretty much a no go anymore.
I had a silver tabby manx with green eyes.. Bobbie.. HA! he was a bit wild, but loved the attention once he figured out how good it was.. he was prone to bladdder infections.. then disappeared one day.. :-(
good luck with your guy!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
We had an all black Manx with the extra toes too. My kids named him Damien. We had just seen "The Omen" and lived on a road where there weren't too many houses, so our cats went outside. My kids would wait until it got dark and yell out the window.....DAMIEN....Then I would see some porch lights go on. They thought that was the funniest thing.:D
Your Manx is beautiful.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
kyryah said:
This little guy was scheduled to die yesterday at the shelter, and I just could not let that happen. I have wanted a manx with extra toes since I was a little tiny girl, and this guy is just sweet as pie. So I brought him home!

WTF! What shelter!? Cats are not supposed to be PTS unless they're irremedially ill or feral! But on a lighter note...GOOD FOR YOU (and the cat:D

M

Maggie Cummings

emysemys said:

Bob and I thank you for defending us...common??? not hardly!

Kristine...I applaud you for taking him AND for keeping only inside cats. It is proven that an inside cat lives about 9 years longer than an outside cat. Your new guy will get used to living inside in no time...name him Max. That's what my Maks was for 4 months before we got her sex straight...then I couldn't change her name so I just changed the spelling. I too, like common names. My last favorite cat was Big Bubba and I still have Lil Roxie...

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
The first picture says it all for his name......Frank (You know, ole blue eyes).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Or, you could be real inventive like me. I have a "Little Girl Kitty" and a "Little Brother." "Little Boy Kitty" got run over a couple years ago. I wonder what my neighbors think in the evening when I'm calling them to dinner...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
emysemys said:

ACK! I should have explained better. Absolutely no disrespect was intended towards King Robert III OR Maggie. I mean Bob was too common for a BOB-tailed cat!

Laura said:
Does the shelter you got him from Do testing for FELV etc? Out here in calif.. you cant get an animal out of the shelter unless its ALREADY neutered. A few exceptions, but pretty much a no go anymore.
I had a silver tabby manx with green eyes.. Bobbie.. HA! he was a bit wild, but loved the attention once he figured out how good it was.. he was prone to bladdder infections.. then disappeared one day.. :-(
good luck with your guy!

Here they do no testing nor spay/neuter. A deposit is required that is refunded once proof of spay/neuter is given. It is a county shelter.

I actually paid no fee - there is a rescue group that is allowed to take death row animals from the shelter and rehome them. He was pulled on my request because his time was up.

terryo said:
We had an all black Manx with the extra toes too. My kids named him Damien. We had just seen "The Omen" and lived on a road where there weren't too many houses, so our cats went outside. My kids would wait until it got dark and yell out the window.....DAMIEN....Then I would see some porch lights go on. They thought that was the funniest thing.:D
Your Manx is beautiful.

Now THAT is hilarious!!!!

DeanS said:
kyryah said:

WTF! What shelter!? Cats are not supposed to be PTS unless they're irremedially ill or feral! But on a lighter note...GOOD FOR YOU (and the cat:D

The shelter has housing for 12 cats. They had 6, and then received 7 more. This kid had been there the longest, so his time was up.

maggie3fan said:
emysemys said:

Bob and I thank you for defending us...common??? not hardly!

Kristine...I applaud you for taking him AND for keeping only inside cats. It is proven that an inside cat lives about 9 years longer than an outside cat. Your new guy will get used to living inside in no time...name him Max. That's what my Maks was for 4 months before we got her sex straight...then I couldn't change her name so I just changed the spelling. I too, like common names. My last favorite cat was Big Bubba and I still have Lil Roxie...

I like Max... We have been kicking around Sammi, I will see what David thinks of Max!!!

harris said:
The first picture says it all for his name......Frank (You know, ole blue eyes).

LOL, what cracks me up is that cats with green/yellow eyes, the centers glow blue. Blue eyed cats, the centers glow red. Same is true for blue eyed horses ;)

emysemys said:
Or, you could be real inventive like me. I have a "Little Girl Kitty" and a "Little Brother." "Little Boy Kitty" got run over a couple years ago. I wonder what my neighbors think in the evening when I'm calling them to dinner...

See, I am weird about names. All my goldfish have Chinese names. My Russian tortoises have Kazakhstani names, my Redfoots were given Columbian (Spanish) names... See what I mean? Granted, goldfish and torts don't usually come when they are called... :D

Thanks everyone, I will keep you all updated!!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
2 of my cats have extra toes

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
AZ
Name him Jack. He looks just like one and I'm good with naming animals. So Jack!! lol

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
LOL, I do like Jack, but it looks like Sammi has stuck ;)

I think I have figured out why poor Sammi was dumped at the pound.

He is a very frustrated teenager kitty. I have seen the same behavior with tom-cats before... Excessive howling, nibbling when touched on certain parts of his body. He has nibbled at me and my husband both while being scratched on his back. Very typical tom-cat behavior.

The sad thing is, a $43 neuter will cure him of this, almost certainly. Once he is fixed and all the testosterone leaves his body, he should be a perfectly happy house cat. Instead of doing that, his previous owners dumped him to almost certain death at the pound. Sad. Forty-three dollars for a life.

He is very affectionate, and loves to be petted and held. Here's to hoping that neuter is the answer!

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
His name should be Lucky because he is lucky you saved him. He is sweet.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Thanks Kristina for saving a kitty life! He will be a looker once that coat is shed for sure.

I'm a foster for the Great Lakes bengal rescue. I love stories of people saving an animals life. I just wish I had more room to foster more cats.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
emysemys said:

Um. I'm pretty sure it's "King Robert III", and only Bob for short.

That cat is adorable. I so agree that within a short period of time he will be fine staying indoors. All of mine do, even though they were outdoor/indoor cats when they arrived. It can be done, though it's tougher with some breeds/individuals than others!

Cheers to Sammi and his 5-toed (6?) feet! :D

M

Maggie Cummings

Some cats have a nerve problem at the spine, that 'could' be the reason for the nibbling when you pet his back...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
It very well could be. I really think this is tom behavior, though - I guess time will tell.

He doesn't do it all the time, and it is more around his hips and the base of his tail, which is why I think it is sexual frustration.

Either way, whatever it is, we will all learn to live with it ;)

I am a tiny bit worried, he isn't eating much. He has an appointment on Tuesday, the earliest I could get him in, so the vet can do a work up then and make sure everything is all right. It might just be because he lived the last month in a cage with howling dogs and screaming cats all around him, and is now in another new place. He is eating separately, too, so it isn't bullying from my other cats. Sammi and Mo Mo are becoming good buddies already.

(Um, I THINK it is 5 Steph, but it may be six. Not sure if he has two "thumbs" or not! I need to look, lol.)

Status
Not open for further replies.