Adopting a sulcata!!

shawnateerow

Location (City and/or State)
Maurice
Posting because I'm too excited/nervous to keep it in! A friend of my husband has an adult sulcata and is giving it up for adoption, so of course I said yes!!! Oh lord I'm nervous?? but his name is shellman and he's a cutie?? does he look good and healthy?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1602030561367.jpg
    FB_IMG_1602030561367.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 50
  • FB_IMG_1602030556406.jpg
    FB_IMG_1602030556406.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 51
  • FB_IMG_1602030552224.jpg
    FB_IMG_1602030552224.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 50
  • FB_IMG_1602030548113.jpg
    FB_IMG_1602030548113.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 50

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
@shawnateerow I feel for you guys in Louisiana, getting hit with so many hurricanes this year! Yeesh. I know you have quite a few critters... Do you normally have to evacuate?

In a way, it's good that you have at least a little bit of time before you get the other sulcata. You're going to have to be really careful with your biosecurity procedures. I know you'll do whatever it takes, and I know you'll do a great job, but I still need to articulate this...

We still don't know what caused the yellow bumps on the little ones, and it's entirely possible there's more than one thing involved. We haven't seen yellow bumps in adults, but that doesn't mean they're immune. So moving forward, it's a high priority to make sure the big one doesn't get exposed to anything the little ones may have.

@mastershake

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I dont but its still hot here right now so I have about a month to get one set up
Its getting into the 60s and low 70s at night there in the next few days. They need to be kept 80 at night, especially with humidity. They also need a secure place to sleep at night. You should have the night box set up, running and adjusted, before you bring home the tortoise.

shawnateerow

Maurice
@shawnateerow I feel for you guys in Louisiana, getting hit with so many hurricanes this year! Yeesh. I know you have quite a few critters... Do you normally have to evacuate?

In a way, it's good that you have at least a little bit of time before you get the other sulcata. You're going to have to be really careful with your biosecurity procedures. I know you'll do whatever it takes, and I know you'll do a great job, but I still need to articulate this...

We still don't know what caused the yellow bumps on the little ones, and it's entirely possible there's more than one thing involved. We haven't seen yellow bumps in adults, but that doesn't mean they're immune. So moving forward, it's a high priority to make sure the big one doesn't get exposed to anything the little ones may have.

@mastershake

Yes, not a problem. There's only small squared off space I let the babies in outside, and the big boy will enclosed in a completely separate spot and will not go inside. Everything they touch wi be completely different. And no, unfortunately we don't 3
Evacuate. A hurricane for me means 120 hour work week, cooking for the energy companies? and for my husband it could also mean overtime. So I am in the process of figuring out some sort of portable enclosure to bring Bonnie with me Sunday and Monday because I'm having to feed her 3-4 times a day since she's having a little trouble swallowing

shawnateerow

Maurice
Its getting into the 60s and low 70s at night there in the next few days. They need to be kept 80 at night, especially with humidity. They also need a secure place to sleep at night. You should have the night box set up, running and adjusted, before you bring home the tortoise.

Shouldn't be an issue because I definitely won't bring him home until I am done working hurricane relief so that I have enough time to set him up. Could be even late next week ? best recommendation for the outdoor heat source?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Shouldn't be an issue because I definitely won't bring him home until I am done working hurricane relief so that I have enough time to set him up. Could be even late next week ? best recommendation for the outdoor heat source?

If you want a bigger box heated differently, you can make one like this with a single door:

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
So I am in the process of figuring out some sort of portable enclosure to bring Bonnie with me Sunday and Monday because I'm having to feed her 3-4 times a day since she's having a little trouble swallowing
Then focus on how to maintain appropriate temperatures. They have to be warm enough to digest.

shawnateerow

Maurice
Then focus on how to maintain appropriate temperatures. They have to be warm enough to digest.

It stays almost 90 in the kitchen but I'm also going to bring her heat lamp and keep the substrate moist. So sad..I drive 30 min each way in the afternoon on break to feed and soak the babies and just watch them..and the end of the night I cant wait to get home to see them. Sigh..tort love??❤

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
please do keep them separated from the adult. never handle or touch one after the other. clean with pure ammonia for the time being. until we have this confirmed i highly suggest keeping them HIGHLY quarantined from each other i.e wear gloves to handle ones with bumps and do not let them in the same spaces in the yard etc. i have seen first hand this spread to others twice now. wash anything the ones with bumps have touched with straight ammonia and leave it sit for 15 minutes wet before rinsing off. i will let you know asap what this comes back as i may have another baby who they think will pass and will send in also. they have the bumps but in an earlier stage like the new ones you are seeing instead of the more yellow stage.