adopted russian tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicoleNewTortLove

5 Year Member
Hello everyone I'm new here! I recently adopted the russian tortoise from my neighbor about a month ago. She seems pretty happy and healthy and I want to do whatever I can to ensure that. I recently noticed some cracking on the plastron. I don't think that is severe however I don't think it's good either. I bought some vita shell cream and have been putting it on like twice a week on the top of her shell. can I put it on the bottom? would this help with the cracking/flaking?

Attachments

• IMG_20120802_095523.jpg
    IMG_20120802_095523.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 27

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Looks like a shell rot of some sort. Sorry my eyes can't see it well enough to say more. Has she had this since you got her or has it gotten worse? Trying to figure if it is old or new.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi (Is your name Nicole or is that your tortoise's name?):

Welcome!!

That looks like old shell rot to me. Just keep it clean. You can scrub it with a soft bristle brush to be sure you have all the old dirt and germs out of the cracks and crevices. Then put some Athlete's Foot Cream on it. You see a lot of this in the steppe tortoises. When they are gathered up to ship out of the country, they are piled on top of each other by the hundreds in boxes and they end up with poop and pee stuck all over them. They usually look pretty beat up by the time they reach the consumer.

NicoleNewTortLove

5 Year Member
Thank you for your responses! Wasn't sure if the postactually went through as I am using the app on my phone. Bristle brush? like one you do dishes with? Honestly, I dont know how long she has had it. I recently did a full inspection. She also had some flaking on her head but its not really bad anymore. I'm feeding her well and I'm going to get a UVB and basking lamp. She had neither when I got her and I ended up buying a 75 watt basking bulb instead of 100. I'm also going trip get that calcium prefer to put on her food. athletes foot cream? Its not gross just flaking chunks of shell..

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
Athletes foot cream will kill any small parasite/ fungus in the shell, safely:)

Status
Not open for further replies.